General Forums > Member's VW's

New project: wheel spacers for my 1979 Super-Beetle (correction: SB Shimmy!)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Brenticon:
Isn't shaking because of the super front suspension/linkage?
A lot of new rims come or need centering rings.
I'm guessing that is what "the guy" meant.
Just my two cents

pittwagen:
Shaking is most likely explained by worn out and poorly maintained front end parts.  Nothing wrong with the design.  The front end on my 73 Super is tight.  No shakes, wobbles or shimmies ever in almost 46 years.

Chris:
I had a similar issue with a 73SB years ago, it ended up being that the suspension towers were rotten from inside, you couldnt see much as it had been resprayed, but the fix was replacing the metal and problem solved.

kinggeorge13:
Ok, been meaning to post an update for a couple days and finally have some time.   So the front wheels are fine.   I think I found what the tech thought was a problem with the back wheels but I'm now kinda thinking it's just the way they are.    When you put the rear wheel on, it definitely goes up against the hub nice and flat.   However it is not "snug" on the center part of the hub that juts out with the large bolt.   It's got space to move around.  However as I experimented with putting the lug bolts in and slowly getting them in enough that they were lightly holding the wheel up against the hub but not tightly.  I found I could just barely move it at all.   Just a wee bit tighter and it no longer allowed jiggling.  So I assume this means that the wheel gets centered properly by the tightening of the lug bolts rather than the center hub.    I think the tech probably thought it was moving around too much after putting the first lug bolt on or something.   Anyone think I have this incorrect, please let me know.  So yep, just you guys suggested: not a problem that has anything to do with needing spacers.

So I did some driving tests.   The car does have a shimmy for sure.  When I get over 80km/hr going straight it's ok.  But any kind of turning at 80+ even a minor gentle one gets a shimmy in the front end that directly affects the steering wheel in the range of "Bloody Hell!" all the way to "Holy Crap!!".    Slowing down and straightening out is the only way to solve it.  So it did not take too much time to research and confirm what some of you guys suggested: I'm fairly sure that our little Beetle has the renowned Super Beetle Shimmy.   So looks like time to get under there and figure out what parts/connectors are worn and then order some parts.   

Of course during all this it stopped cranking over when I try to start it so it appears the starter motor wiring needs a little attention first.   Battery has lots of power.   When the rain stops I'll get her up onto jack stands and start poking around the starter first and get that fixed up and then move the jack stands to the front and start looking at all the steering/bushing components.   First time for this for me, should be interesting!

-George

kinggeorge13:
I do have a question for you guys that have gone through this before.    After more research I'm thinking if the problem (or part of the problem) is shot bushings on the control arms, would you buy just the urethane bushing kit (i.e. the Empi brand red ones from CIP1) and replace them or would you just get the entire lower control arm all ready to go and just replace it that way?    Bushing kit for the control arms would cost me around $50.   Buying the two full sets of ready-to-install control arms would be more like $220 each (so $440 vs $50) but some guys make it sound like replacing just the bushings can be a bit of nightmare dealing with proper fit and removal or no removal of the "sleeve" or "ring" at the end that goes to the car frame.  I don't really want a nightmare but neither am I made of money.   But I guess what I'm wondering is this one of those times experienced guys would say to me "spend the money, it's worth it"?    (again, assuming I find these particular bushings shot).

Thanks!
-George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version