Project Forums > ASF Member Projects

my 1973 hightop camper project

(1/4) > >>

beetlemania:
hi all, well here is my project...a 73hightop camper.i bought the bus off a guy that bought it off a guy from the mainland....dude i bought it from said he got it home and went to take it for a drive the next day and it just started smoking blue real bad and had no idea how to fix it. all the quotes he was getting scared him, so i made it just in time to save it from the crusher (or so he was threatning in the ad).so i replaced the Pistons&cylinders and found a set of rebuilt heads from someone on here that works at KMS tools(cant remember his name)and new sparkplug's, wires, distributor cap,replace the thermostat with a working one...removed the heater boxes and replaced them with type 4 heaterbox replacement tubes and removed the gas tank for inspection and cleaning.
 i bought a rusty old 914 header (or so i was told)for cheap and had it blasted and found it was solid, with just one little seperation crack near the flange,that i welded up. just have to find a usable muffler, respray some engine tin, clean up the 34mm webers then finish putting everything back on the engine and reinstalling tank,new gas lines etc & reinstalling engine.find a good usuable windshield..then bobs yer uncle.
my future plans for this bus is  tubb'd both front and back and convert to K&Link pin narrowed adjustable front beam and adjustable spring plates & drop plates converted to wide5 in the rear. then drop it down in the weeds properly  :evil1: .install some 40mm Dellortos and some other "minor pimping" lol...but for now,get it ready for summer camping (i plan on alot of that foshow!)who knows, i may get camping and decide not to lower it.... :-\
this is when i brought it home

after taking the heads off and inspecting things

installing new Pistons&Cylinders

interrior mocked up, what you'll basically see when you enter "THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING" (said Vigorously with the loudest of loud manly man voices(with a touch of german accent thrown in)

beetlemania:
my Frankenstein fanshroud..

Geoff:
Lanny will love that shroud! ;D

Nice bus!

owdlvr:
I've got a Muffler packed for the swap tomorrow...

-Dave

beetlemania:

--- Quote from: Geoff on May 06, 2011, 06:15:30 PM ---Lanny will love that shroud! ;D

Nice bus!

--- End quote ---

thanks, she's a bit rough round the edges but a gem none the less!

--- Quote from: owdlvr on May 06, 2011, 06:22:22 PM ---I've got a Muffler packed for the swap tomorrow...

-Dave

--- End quote ---

oops,i forgot to update, got one already, thanks anyhow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version