Author Topic: Blackie and Jewitt Motors  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Blackie and Jewitt Motors
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Here's a great shot From Doug Blackie

first Porsche delivered to Blackie & Jewett  (circa '57 from the plate - and I think the first Porsche in BC)...on the docks in New West...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:06:24 PM by Geoff »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Blackie and Jewitt Motors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:59 PM »
A little info found on the web...

Westminster VW was originally established back in 1953 under the banner "Blackie & Jewett Volkswagen". This was also the year that Volkswagen first came to North America. The cars that hit our shores, and dealership, back then were Volkswagen Type 1 known as the Beetle and the Type 2 or the Microbus.

These cars put Volkswagen on the map in North America as "the people's car" which is exactly what the word Vokswagen means in Germany. They were extremely reliable, cheap to buy and operate and although not necessity back then they were great on gas!

VW type 1 and type 2
The vehicles became so popular that the Type 2 chassis was expanded to include a single and dual (crew) cab pick ups as well as panel vans used for deliveries.

VW type 2 with extended chassis
In 1965 the dealership was renamed to Westminster Volkswagen since it was located at the waterfront in Westminster. During that time, Volkswagen's lineup included Type 3 which was produced as a 2 door coupe, fast back, square back (wagon) and the very popular Ghia coupe and convertible.

When Erich Schmidt & Bert Laakman took over Westminster Volkswagenin June 1975, two men's dreams became reality. Schmidt began working on Volkswagens when he was only 14 years old, training to become an automotive engineer in Germany.

In 1959, Schmidt decided to make his way to Canada and arrived in Halifax with only $2 in his pocket. He traveled to the West Coast by rail and landed a job as a VW mechanic the day after the train reached Vancouver. Schmidt was then hired by another local Volkswagen dealer in 1962 and worked his way up to becoming a manager of the service department in just two years. When the opportunity to own his own Volkswagen dealership presented itself, he jumped at the chance.

Schmidt combined resources with Laakman to purchase the Volkswagen dealership in New Westminster. Westminster Volkswagen was also an Audi and Porsche franchise at one point but became strictly Volkswagen in the late 80's.

In 1986 Westminster Volkswagen moved to its current location at 2555 Barnet Highway in Coquitlam and has been growing with the community ever since. Through the decades, Volkswagen has introduced many great models like the Rabbit, Scirrocco, Corrado, Golf etc. Those have joined the history of Volkswagen that is different from those of other makes of vehicles. From its basic roots of being the car for the people Vokswagen has grown into a lifestyle. Its following is very cult like and being a part of it is nothing short of awesome!

Volkswagen's history can be experienced today from the early years of the Type 1 to the new 200HP GTi at the Great Canadian Volkswagen Show sponsored by Westminster Volkswagen at Town Center Park in Coquitlam Sunday August 19th. This will be the 16th year for the GCVWS which has grown larger every year!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
great pics, great info and amazing acvw & porsche local history. i love it!!!

Offline AirCooledRules

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »
Wasn't Speedway the 1st dealership in BC or even in Canada. and they were a Porsche dearler first probably.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
Speedway was the first dealer in western Canada.  VW first, then Porsche.

Offline Airjack

• Jack Taylor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
I hate to see these old pictures because it reminds me how old I must be! I bought a couple of beetles from them when they were still Blackie & Jewitt.  Had a friend who worked there as the shop foreman named Bob Longshaw.  He wanted me to become a mechanic with them way back then. Nice work digging up old memories, Thanks.
Airjack

Offline dblackie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
I like that the current Westminster VW folks have put some history on their web sites.  Except, some of the dates are not quite right.  I double checked those dates with my Dad a few months back ... Blackie and Jewett opened in 1955 (not '53) at the original 12th Street building.  The "new" building on Columbia Street - and the birth of Westminster Volkswagen - was 1963 (not '65).

Doug

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »
Oh yea, they say they opened in "1953, This was also the year that Volkswagen first came to North America." Oops, 49 for the states and 52 for us.
brian waz
brian waz

Offline buggybilly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
actual speedway took over the dealer ship in the mid 60's, the original dealer name was Douglas volkswagen.