Author Topic: Compression Fighting The Old Starter?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline josh

Compression Fighting The Old Starter?
« on: October 12, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
Finally got to crank over my 2 liter on the weekend, but it was a no go. I turned it over with the plugs loose to build some oil pressure, and it cranked fine but when it was time to make some noise it was turning over really slow and caught twice but by the time I scrambled from the seat to the motor to grab the linkage it would die. Now it won't fire and the starter stalls out and stops, even with a jumpstart. Do you guys run high torque starters? I'm only running 9.3:1, so it's not like a 13:1 race motor.

josh
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Cameron

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:12:35 AM »
It is possible that your old stock starter is tired out, and is having a hard time turning over a hot (temperature), long stroke motor. But check your battery and charging system first.  Make sure the system is charging your battery at 13 or 14 volts. Borrow a battery, see if that makes a difference.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline josh

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:07:43 AM »
The battery was borrowed out of my jeep, it  brand new, the starter was fine @ lower ratio(8.2:1) I even tried jumping it with anouther car while reving it up, still stalling out, but cranking fine with plugs out.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:22:23 AM »
is the starter bushing new?

Offline Cameron

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25:40 AM »
Something else popped into my mind.
Is this a new motor / rebuild? You write that it cranked over when the plugs were out, but won't when the plugs are in, and hooked up. Doulbe check your firing order, and the position of the distributor drive gear. Should have been installed as per Haynes manual.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Lanny

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 06:37:20 PM »
Check the battery cables and connections.

Offline josh

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 07:52:07 AM »
Starter bushing is good, I built the motor 2 years ago and put about 5k on it, the rings never sealed so I tore the top end apart and left the bottom alone. I will double check the firing order, but i'm 99% sure its good. the dist drive gear is in the same position as before. I will run a chunk of leftover monster cable that i have from doing a stupid loud stereo install for a buddy, tell ya how it pans out.

I really want to drive this thing and see how my porting changed things.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 10:42:35 AM »
id change the bushing anyways......
you would be suprised what an effect it has even if its just slightly worn.....

Offline josh

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 02:20:36 PM »
I made the bushing out of brass on the lathe cause don't laugh i'm still running the clearanced 6v trans, just waiting for it to shit it's guts all over the road. I am looking for a built hd trans though, if there are any kickin around.

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2