Author Topic: Updat #22  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Updat #22
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »
The hardest part of this entire build is making the rear lid. This is the one most distinctive feature that separates a Hebmuller from a regular Beetle convertable. I'm not building a Hebmuller in the traditional way but a custom that is heavely influenced by the Hebmuller, that being said I still want the rear lid to look good.

In this update I will only cover therear lid. I spent aprox 21 hrs working on it this past week/weekend and I'm still a long way away from finishing it. In total I must have a few hundred hours into it!!! :huh:  The next one will go much quickwr B)

All the high spots were ground down, then a layer of duraglass was used to cover all the welds.

A little sanding and some fore filler....

A little sanding and some fore filler....

The lid was off and on checking fit many times, getting the cowel to hood fit took a lot of work with the hammer and dolly.

Hey what-ya know, more filler :blush:

Then it was time for some primer and some sleep. At this point the lid has the rough shape but none of the body lines ahave been made straight. I'm guessing I still have another 8-10 hrs left to get it looking somewhat decent.

Once I get the lid looking good I'll be making a few fiberglass versions as I want to have my velocity stacks sticking thru the hood and can't bring myself to cut this one.

Last shot is of a real Heb lid. This is a early lid with the licence plate dimples (later ones did not have this)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:10:47 AM by Geoff »