Author Topic: Gauges on a buggy  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Gauges on a buggy
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
What gauges do you run on your buggies?
I'm redoing my dash as there is at least one gauge I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need  (water temperature!) and I was wondering what combination of gauges people run on their aircooled engines apart from tach, speedo and oil pressure

Offline Buggytime

Re: Gauges on a buggy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm redoing my dash on my buggy as well, and I plan to have my speedometer, tach, volt gauge, oil pressure, oil temp, and fuel.
What kind of gauges are you using? I just have the old VDO gauges, but I've seen some really nice units lately but I assume they would be pricey.

Offline Max G

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »
I've got the speedo, looks original to me?

It came with an aftermarket tach which I dont think I will keep (it was mounted on the column)
I have oil temp, amps, fuel gauges that I will keep, but will obviously ditch the water temp and the lbs/.Sq inch (psi for turbo possibly???) gauges that were installed for the watercooled engine that was in it.
It's a shame that the oil temp gauge doesn't match the fuel and amps gauges.

I also have a column mount indicator switch, what seems like a light switch (as it has a rotating function. ..dimmer? And has two pull out notches) and there is another switch which has is a three position rotating one, not sure what it's for.
The other is an aftermarket rear heater back glass flip switch which I might use for something.

So I think I will have Speedometer, amps, oil pressure and fuel, and then for the switches: indicators, headlights and the other cream colored one if I can figure out what it's for.

I also need to source a key  for the ignition barrel, but they are only 15 bucks new from AVR so I will probably buy new, but I was thinking of putting in a security system and possibly a push button start and do away with the key altogether.....

Any input from you wise vw enthusiasts is more than welcomed!

Max

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
thats what im running might be over kill though lol. I think your head temp. oil light and pressure are very important if your running a tuned up Air-cooled engine. just my 2 cents. I have a speedo still in Canada that im trying to sell but ist a white face mph so probably useless for you?

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers Rene

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:49:14 AM »
I'm running from left to right

2 1/16" Fuel gauge vdo

5" Tach vdo

4" Speedo kph vdo

2 1/16" oil Pressure vdo - switched between two senders (engine out engine in)

oil Temp vdo - switched between two senders (engine out engine in)

Voltmeter vdo

in console

2 1/16" Trans Temp Autometer (painted)

Head temp Autometer (painted)

hope that helps