Author Topic: Ideas On Shocks?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline AL.

Ideas On Shocks?
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:46:18 PM »
My bug will be stock weight with a 2276, freeway tranny, dumped in the front with a narrowed, adjustable beam with lengthened shock towers and GR-2s with heim joints. It's out of the 64 vert we used to have and it rode great. Old Brad Purser beam I was told. The rear will be dropped one maybe two splines with stock rear torsion bars, and an AirSpeed drag bar. It might see the strip a couple times per year and be able to handle the curves at moderate speeds  ;) . It's the rear shocks I'm wondering about, I was thinking of KYB Gas A Just but I have a knack for buying the wrong parts. So some input would be great!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:34:49 PM by AL. »
'54 Cdn. Std. Ragtop
'69 Baja
'57 Volksrod Lawn Ornament

"The perfect race car crosses the finish line in first place then falls to pieces."   -Ferdinand Porsche

Offline Hansk

Ideas On Shocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:01:34 PM »
Yes , gas adjusts would be pretty typical choice for the rear but not for the front. If money was no issue maybe some adjustable Koni's  or other specialty brands I've seen used(can't think of the names)

Personally, I like the hardest possible shock for the rear and softest possible shock for the front for ride quality. This is where the Koni's would be nice because their firmness is adjustable so you could set them up as you like.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:04:11 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline AL.

Ideas On Shocks?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »
I also like them firm in the rear end and softer up front  :P  . I checked out some pricing on the Koni shocks and I will be getting the Gas A Justs because money is unfortunately an object.
Thanks Hans
'54 Cdn. Std. Ragtop
'69 Baja
'57 Volksrod Lawn Ornament

"The perfect race car crosses the finish line in first place then falls to pieces."   -Ferdinand Porsche

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Ideas On Shocks?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
Koni's are adjustable but they are rock hard regarldess of what you adjust them too.  I think the valving internally is on the primitive side if you start looking at bilstiens (typically non adjustable).

KYB white gas ajust are non adjustable and bloody rock hard. You better make sure your tranny will take the beating. When you drop the clutch the clutch must \"give\" also ESPECIALLY if your gonna use some slicks. If your using street tires you'll get away with it due to no traction.

Last year I went with KYB rear gas adjusts, black magic disk clutch and I did 1.5 - 2 feet wheelies. I've never gotten that much air before.  

http://members.shaw.ca/aircooled/06mrpjuly...ly7fri_234a.jpg

Hmmm snapped/exploded my first gear (even with beefier 1st gear ilder), chipped teeth of my pinion and blew up my trans  :D

You cant go that wrong using stock replacement cofaps or brazilian nakata.

I put nakata's in the rear and my wheelies went down and made things easier on my setup. Not to mention more consistant/faster  60ft times. This is just my experiences with my car.