Author Topic: Your Bay projects...  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Your Bay projects...
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
How are they coming along?
as winter is in full swing I hope many of you are getting some work done on your Bay projects. I've been trying to get a little work done here and there when I have time. Built a 4" narrowed beam, and spindles for my 68 westy. will soon have a fresh painted roof and new canvas. I hope to have it ready for spring but it's a big project. What have you been upto?

Offline pittwagen

Re: Your Bay projects...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
When I bought this bus almost three years ago I figured it would be a 3-5 year project to get it to where I wanted it to be - a tin top Westfalia that was never available here in 1979.  This bus was one of the last to come off the assembly line in late June of 1979.  It spent most of its life in the San Jose CA area.  It was virtually rust free when I bought it.  I added the Westfalia P27 interior and 91 Vanagon GL front seats in the first year.  Added a new motor  in year  two.

In the last few months the upper roof and window area has been restored to the correct colour - Mexico Beige.  All the window seals have been replaced with the best quality ones from CIP1.  Windshield too, from Speedy.  Speedy guy was impressed with the quality of the window rubber. Added rebuilt jalousies too. Nice dark tint on the side windows as well.

I have started on the camper electrical system - got the 110V system in.  12 V is still to be done.  Still debating on whether to install a gas heater - have a working BN4 as well as a couple of BN2's.  I  have the air heater working quite well with a booster fan under the front floor and all the joints tight.  Added insulation of the piping from the rear should increase the heat.  Heated drivers seat helps too.  I really would like to add a Propex heater for overnight stays.

I try and drive it a few times each week but it is tough with the size of the fleet.  Just added a Mk1 Rabbit to the fleet.

Changed out the Carello fogs for some Hella 550's.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:58:37 PM by pittwagen »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Your Bay projects...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
Looking nice Bryant!