Author Topic: Memories, looking for comments and feedback IF You have been in the VW scene  (Read 2690 times)

Offline vwshawn

Where should I begin, I remember back in the 80's HansK Had a shop off of Scott Rd.in Surrey, there were some cool cars I remember and always lots of parts there.  Frank Graff had his cool oval window, and I remember a guy named Darren that had a blue sunroof beetle that he used to show alot.  HansK-you probably also remember Greg , that had a Orange 71 super beetle that was a show car (I think it was Slyvesters)Later Greg had a gorgeous Green oval that Dwayne Farmer bought.  I remember driving past Darrel's house and seeing a black oval and a red vert slammed with Porsche Alloys.

For shops in the Delta Area, there was Europeon Auto (Vic) that painted many of the cars-Cal-Look Stuff and did performance engines.  Not to mention, Ed at the Bug Shop, and Corey Dahl who used to own a real clean Black Oval,that was a drag car (Now Corey runs a shop in Port Kells,but does not work on VW's anymore.

I remember when Cal Imports was in a lane next to a Performance Engineering Shop in New Westminster when Steve Stanbridge had the Race Car(dark blue) before it turned into Weird Science, and I remember the cal-look 63 sunroof i think-that had 73 fenders on it.

Darren K (Kroc) worked there, along with Clarence.
Cal Imports later moved into a new location, behind A&W off of Kingsway, Lanny used to work there behind the counter, with a guy with long hair (Jim) anyone remember.  Also Greg who I think was the Manager there.

I remember Darren K had a cool black cal-look bug with alloys that I think was sold to Steve's dad.  Thunderbugs did a show and shine in central park-burnaby, where i remember Fritz the car! it was red with a big mill in there.  Also, Markus had a green late model with a big mill too.
Not to mention Rene and Carol Lord, orange Late Model, and van, Roy, Rudy (Fast Rabbit)
This is going a long way back, also , Walt Kaiser Jr's Blue Notch that I detailed for him.
Mark Wisheart 59 and then Dwayne's old 79 Vert lowered!

Hans K-you remember Reese, Mike Walz, Brett Walker and his toys.  I also remember Randy Gadios(not sure of the spelling that had a real clean two-toned bus!

In HansK garage, was my old oval in primer who once belonged to Greg H-later sold to Mike Gordon.  This car was in Primer with Painted Fenderwalls.  The pan was sold to Paul Jones that he used for his drag chopped beetle (X-Mike Hornak's Car)

Going to the Thunderbugs meetings off of Kingsway were great , and also meeting Marty,Mike Grocott, Lawerence Ming, Jeff Boylan (who painted my low 69-peach/piink were great people.
Not to mention Shane Marriot.

Flossin, yes I do remember your Ghia, as well as the vert-before it became a magazine car, do you ever see Kelly? or Jason? or Ted)-Remember Bigsbys off of Commercial Drive-you were always in the Sandblasting booth!

And yes, there was Mike Gordon's shop in Langley, the fondest memories are when his dad opened up his house to have a show and shine there in the driveway!  Brian-you remember that!

I remember all the VW's that Mike and Marty and Brian had.
Brian,ever remember the drag car that we bought together?

Lawerence, Brian, Jeff, Rob Sterk (who owned Jeff's green car) Stephan, On-Zoom (Chris)-the guy that had a grey notch. I found him once on www.vwdov.ca.  Dwayne Farmer, Rob Algard, Pierce Owen, Ken Smith,Mike Hornak were all part of the V-Dub thing-Remember going cruisin in White Rock or down to bellingham etc-all good times!!

I could ramble on but, I will come to a close.  I will see if I can dig up some old pics.
Post some more stories like this
Shawn   

Offline moodyman

• 1988 Vanagon w/2.2 Turbo Subaru power........
I ran into Mike Walz last week at The Golden Spike in Port Moody. He's a  bodyguy for Translink in Richmond now. Back when I worked with him in a P & B shop in Burnaby (early 1990's)he sold his beautiful blue roadster, I believe it appeared in some country music video.
tim
Put some fun between your legs, ride a mountain bike.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Thunderbugs in Central Park??? That was Brett Walker and I making posters and putting them up at all the local spots trying to get something going! 1986?  The one I am remembering was just a show and shine at Central Park and I got crap for not having permits when city workers came around. I was driving my slammed blue and primer 66 and actually got Brett's wife to help me point cars in as he had to work for the start of if before he could show. It was a great time seeing the turnout considering there was no formal organizing other than wanting to get VW's together. I like to think it evolved into what Cal-imports did on Kingsway at the old location when they were a store and not a warehouse. Ahhh, the good ol days
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:26:32 AM by bwaz »
brian waz

Offline speedbuggy

Here's some pics I took back in 86/87 at a couple Bug-Ins in Wash & Oregon.  There were quite a few shows in the US back then.  Pardon the crappy shots but they were probably taken with some tiny 110 Kodak camera back then!

There's a few recognizable cars in there but maybe someone recognizes some others.  I went to a couple of the Thunderbug meetings in Bby back then -- drove in with Brad P a few times but living in Abbotsford and going to school didn't have the time to do much else...Maybe there's a couple memories in these for someone else...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:43:11 PM by speedbuggy »

Offline Bob Loblaw

Cal Imports later moved into a new location, behind A&W off of Kingsway, Lanny used to work there behind the counter, with a guy with long hair (Jim) anyone remember.  Also Greg who I think was the Manager there.

That sounds like Jim Blackwood to me. Works at a paint & body shop supply store in Victoria now.

Holy hairstyles! Did we really think we used to look good?

Offline G-dog

There's Bruce Tweddle standing in front of the Weird Science car!
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina

That sounds like Jim Blackwood to me. Works at a paint & body shop supply store in Victoria now.

Holy hairstyles! Did we really think we used to look good?

Nevermind the hairstyles look at the freaky looking cars!

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Wow! Thanks for the pics. I saw an old Fiat racing, dont remember that at SIR. Good times for sure.  O0

Offline vwshawn

Wow those are some old pics!
I recognize alot of cars, Terry Hoogstin`s drag car,lawerence mings oval window, jason's oval, etc etc

Brian, I think your old yellow 72 is in one of those car show pics, as well as Mark Wishearts red cal-look car.  I think there was Paul Nielson`s squareback or Gary`s (GMB)

Speedbuggy, do I know you?
Thanks,
Shawn
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:09:43 PM by vwshawn »

Offline speedbuggy

I may recognize a couple people here & there but been out of the loop for many years...as the pictures show    ;D

Offline vwshawn

What was your 1st name,and what car did you own back then?
Shawn

Offline speedbuggy

I remember going to one TB meeting and next thing someone is taking the rotors from peoples 009's (because everyone had to have an 009!) as a joke, I was like WTF??? LOL.   Pizza was good but that's about all I remember... after that I got a rear deck lock!  haha

Offline Hansk

Bruce hasn't changed a bit. Guess He was ahead of His time .
Big fat black fastback

Offline Cameron

Hey Gang!

There used to be lots of vintage photos posted at www.airspeedparts.com , in the archives.

Anybody know how to get to them, now?

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
There's Bruce Tweddle standing in front of the Weird Science car!

Those jeans are back in style again...

I really, really, really hope the whole 70's/80's custom VW style doesn't come back though!

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...