Author Topic: Tire Questions  (Read 2999 times)

Offline lildunebuggy

Tire Questions
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
so i was thinking i am getting down to riding now not much to work on my rail. i was thinking if i had a set of 14 or 15 inch rims and got a set of utv tires in 31 to 34s has anyone ever put atv tires on there machines? just asking what anythinks or just maybe some has done this at all. open to all what you think.

Offline beetlemandan

Re: Tire Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
I guess it depends on where you use it. on my Baja I have 215/75/r15 hankook mud terrains in the back. they are great in snow, mud, and damp earth, but in dry silt or loose gravel they just dig holes,  they also hurl basketball size boulders very effectively as well! fro the dry months I plan on putting on a pair of 215/75 general grabber at2. so I can swap the front with the back depending on the season.

the other bonus with running the same tires on the front as the back is you only need 1 size of spare tire!

if you don't need every inch of ground clearance, the smaller tire will be a lot more gentle on your drivelive
the customer is always wrong

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
i am mostly finding mud in my uses lately but i have rocks and stuff as well. got into a good day with the generals and had a funtime with some of the trails i have with long grass this year and they dont grip at all. but i like most of my friends just get into the mud and seem to just do donuts and stuff but also 4x4 too. RZRs and rhinos fun too but just no money haha.

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »
I try to avoid mud, so I can't really vouch for one tire or another. Okanagan mud is usually ( the year round kind ) bottomless and clay based. the light truck tires are very puncture resistant on vws because they aren't really holding any weight. I run about 18 pounds front and rear. and the mud terrains seem to do alright with boulders.  I knew a rail that ran 30" wide terra tires in the back, he never got stuck, but narrow sections in the bush gave him grief like you can't imagine
the customer is always wrong

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
ok the terra tire was the other i was looking at. yes i am little more north barriere. more logging rds and open feilds out this way. we only get mud first part and then dry after that. you ever make it out to the offroad races in whispering pines in kamloops ? sould check them out still some guys racing vw type rails and buggys out here it goes once a month tell its too cold. these past 2 years have been the best wet not dry and had monster energy do a bunch on motocross as well. this year there was a lot more utv racers around too