Author Topic: GCVWS Awards  (Read 5724 times)

Offline gtiboy

GCVWS Awards
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Is there a site, or does anyone have a list of the awards that went out on Sunday?? I'd like to know who won in each catergory as i wasn't able to make it to the awards ceremony.

Thanks

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: GCVWS Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
2011 Class winners will be posted on www.gcvws.com in the coming days.

Offline chickmore

• Facebook :-)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
2011 Class winners will be posted on www.gcvws.com in the coming days.

With a picture of their car too?? I didn't know alot of the people, but would love to match the car to the owner to the award  ;D

Offline Darren

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
If you have pictures of every car matching up to thier respective owners and 4 0r 5 free evenings to spend the time setting that up give me a shout! ;D

Cheers  Darren

Offline chickmore

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
If you have pictures of every car matching up to thier respective owners and 4 0r 5 free evenings to spend the time setting that up give me a shout! ;D

Cheers  Darren

wow, sorry. forget I asked. was just interested in seeing the cars, thats all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:46:20 PM by chickmore »

Offline Geoff

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
In an effort to get awards out on time we really don't have the time to go back and snap a pic of every car that won. We do make an effort to take a pic of every person as they get their awards.

Maybe in the future someone will voulnteer to take that job on :'(

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
Maybe when you post the list, you could incorporate a way to have the individual upload a picture of themselves or select it from the pics of the winners?

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
In an effort to get awards out on time we really don't have the time to go back and snap a pic of every car that won. We do make an effort to take a pic of every person as they get their awards.

I'd be happy to volunteer next year. I'll get a photo of each car entered in the show, but I'm not going to attempt to photograph owners with their cars...that's just a freaking disaster.

Geoff, add it to your notes...I won't remember if you don't ask.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
I had a hard enough time finding the cars in the category to judge... forget the owner! Some cars registered and didn't show, some were with their clubs... I didn't miss anyone in the end, but lots of back and forth on close races. (add to notes too)
brian waz

Offline chickmore

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »

I'll totally volunteer next year!!! this was my first year with the car and at the show (and I didn't even know any of you... still dont really) so didn't really know what it was all about. Im just trying to get into the VW community.

So much work goes into the event, and you all did an amazing job. Every volunteer worked their tails off (especially the amazing photographer) I wasn't trying to impose more work, put pressure on anybody, or suggest anybody could have done more (cuz yall were amazing!!!) ... just being my first year I'd love to see what cars make the grade :-).  :sorry:  (yikes, didn't know my comment was gonna get so heated)

Offline gtiboy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
Did those awards go up yet? Sorry if they are, but I can't find them.

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Maybe when you post the list, you could incorporate a way to have the individual upload a picture of themselves or select it from the pics of the winners?
PDT_Armataz_01_37  Good idea!   ;D
Kootenay Volkswagen Society

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
There are photos I've taken of all of the award winners. It would require an incredible amount of time to correspond the award to a face/car to each category winner.

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=19562.0

Part 2 has the  photos of the winners.

I'm not sure if many are aware but immediately as the award ceremony ends the entire show closes and the parking lot quickly empties. As a DVKK member I put aprox 24+ hrs of shooting/editing/uploading photos within hours of the events in a span of 3 days so that the world can see how we shine in British Columbia (and visitor exhibiting their cars) at the GCVW show. Just a friendly fyi for people that are not aware.... Events/wedding photographers charge rate is aprox $150-300+/ hr.   Man am I pooped after that amazing weekend and Im more tired as if I shot a 15hr wedding. My professional camera gear is truly thoroughly abused in wear and tear for this voluntary documentation of the biggest VW show in Canada....mini rant over :)

Alot of hard work was involved this year and it certainly was the biggest ever GCVW!!!  

To document the awards ceremony and uploading categorized winners with their cars is a serious undertaking. I highly doubt the "winners" will happily wait for a photo shoot that would seriously take an easy 2hrs+ to complete all winners. Finding the car category is only part of the difficultly in documenting the awards winners w/ cars.  In addition get properly exposed photos of the car and winner without harsh lighting from the sun (if present on the day of the show) will be difficult too.

I speculate it would take aprox 8-12 hours of hard work in organizing picture file numbers with corresponding winners and uploading them in a proper manner. What I can do next year is take close ups of the winners so that "viewers" of the photos can read the plaques on the awards. I am thinking I will have a specific location (carpeted area) where all "winners" must stand on a marked area "X". USE a tripod and shoot like its a photo graduation photoshoot with studio lights (still thinking about that).

I've never seen much interest in the "winners" plaque portion of the show. Most individuals wanna see cars.

Any feasible ideas for next year? please pass me what you've brain stormed.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:47:31 PM by AlanU »

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »
An interesting conundrum indeed ;D , the easiest solution I can come up with is hand the registration people at the front gate point and shoot cameras and every car entered gets a low res mug shot at the gate in thier car holding thier display card as part of the check in process, the number on the card may have to be made bigger or they may have to hold a little chalk board instead of the card so thier entry number shows easily in the pic.
Afterwards post the pics so that anyone so inclined could find the car or entry number they were interested in and match it to the judging results, once they new what the car looked like they could find better pics in one of Alan's fine galleries ;)

The only issue would be the trailer queens lol_hitting
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:16:58 AM by BUSDADDY »
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Klaatu

• http://www.airspeedparts.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »
Frickin whine much.........
I can't reach the bottom but I sure bang the sh*t out of the sides....

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
I agree with DarrenE... post the list and let the individual upload a picture of themselves and/or their car.

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
When I was there you couldnt find one person who that was helping out who were standing around doing nothing. Everyone was running around doing something. I dont think its fair to ask them to do more unless someone else offers to step up. Usually Hot VW's and Ultra VW's does a great job of putting the winners and cars together in the magazine.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
A list is getting put up.. Just give it a few days. As for pics of cars, people who won.... Not this year, the end!

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Frickin whine much.........

"Fuck me, your lady friend's got a voice?"

Shit, Jim, I thought your account had been deleted!  ;D
Jason Hamilton

Offline Klaatu

• http://www.airspeedparts.com
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
That would be like kickin Hue out of the Mansion.... :P
I can't reach the bottom but I sure bang the sh*t out of the sides....

Offline Darren

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Wanted, Volunteers to co-ordinate all the above requested duty's relating to registration organizing the judging,
co-ordinating the awards portion of the show, as well as follow up with all the little details, pre-registration, etc..
Cuz I aint doing a good enough job someone alse can deal with all this bull shit.  The Dub Allstars worked thier asses off as well on the Judging as did the volunteers, It Went really smooth this year, but people want more and more....... WTF. 
I say just have it as a fun VW day and screw the judging all together, give a few special awards away...
It's not suppose to be about winning some trophy anyways is it????

Next year I'm cooking Hot Dogs!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
x 2 what brian (red snapper) said...

every volunteer and organizer worked so hard and really went above & beyond the call of duty to make the 20th annual Great Canadian VW Show weekend the best VW weekend north of California...we are so incredibly lucky to have such a devoted group of VW gearheads that make this all happen so close to home!! major kudos to all involved!!! You_Rock_Emoticon

also, i think there is so much going on behind the scenes that some people have no idea what is really involved. no harm, no foul.

imho...if people have an idea about how to improve things they should not only offer an idea/solution...they should also offer to get their hands dirty & help out.

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
Wanted, Volunteers to co-ordinate all the above requested duty's relating to registration organizing the judging,
co-ordinating the awards portion of the show, as well as follow up with all the little details, pre-registration, etc..
Cuz I aint doing a good enough job someone alse can deal with all this bull shit.  The Dub Allstars worked thier asses off as well on the Judging as did the volunteers, It Went really smooth this year, but people want more and more....... WTF. 
I say just have it as a fun VW day and screw the judging all together, give a few special awards away...
It's not suppose to be about winning some trophy anyways is it????

Next year I'm cooking Hot Dogs!

so you wanna be a BJ ?? .. we are taking resume's !!

speaking of trophy's ... someone snapped there's in half right infront of me and a few other ppl , i guess coming in second place with hundereds of othere vw's wasn't good enuff ????

alot of time goes into this and to just breaking it over ur knee like that is disrespectful to say the least !!!

i'm not gonna more on this because i get violent bipolor thoughts so i'm just gonna push those feeling way down and bottle them up,...lots of pressure down in that bottle.

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline chickmore

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 08:16:12 AM »
I think people are really reading too much into this.

I had *innocently* asked about pictures. I am very new to the VW scene and don't know any of you, or your rides. I'd love to get to know more of you and thought by linking the person to the car it would be easier.

I have praised the volunteers up and down and sideways, ESPECIALLY the photographer ALANU (multiple times)! I am NOT suggesting that it could be, or should be, done better. It was the freakin highlight of my summer and I am wishing every weekend could be with a bunch of VW people hanging out.

Can we all stop making an issue out of NOTHING. I don't want to post anything if it's gonna get railroaded into something it's not. These boards have been great, and now people are getting their noses out of joint over something it was never intended to be.

wow, what a great way to be remembered <shakes my head> I thought this place was an area to talk about our sweet rides, and schedule some cruise's around the city, not politics.

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
I agree with DarrenE... post the list and let the individual upload a picture of themselves and/or their car.
That was "VWChris" that came up with that idea.  I can take no credit for that one.   :D

I can't believe someone broke their award!   wtf  I'd have gladly taken it.  I thought the weekend was perfect, and am totally appreciative to everyones hard work!  Bravo!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:56:06 AM by DarrenE »

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
thanx for the positve feed back ,. everyone who helps out feeds on it !!

p.s. sorry about my rant , shouldn't have said anything.

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
p.s. sorry about my rant , shouldn't have said anything.
  I never saw what you originally said.  I still think you're an angel.   :wub:   :-*   lol_hitting

Offline gtiboy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
Maybe this is easier. Did anyone here win an award? If so, can you post a pic of your car and what award you won? Or if you know someone that won an award and have a pic of their car, can u post it please.

:O0:

Offline gtiboy

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
Geoff, did that winner list ever get made ?

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
great, had to go and bring this up again....

I think he was hoping you would forget!