Author Topic: Cannot find info on my CK 04 transmission  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Cannot find info on my CK 04 transmission
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
Looking for specs and final drive numbers on my 73 Westy  code is CK 04

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Cannot find info on my CK 04 transmission
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »
That's what I feared. 5.37 final keeps me off the highway.
What are my best options for converting or replacing this mountain climber

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »
What are you doing that 5.37 won't work, little tiny rollerskate wheels or something?
You can swap to a 5 rib 002 or 6 rib 091, they have a higher ratio, but you need the stroke and hp to compensate, a small motor will overheat due to the reduced cooling fan speeds. In a bus "freeway flyer" often means "freeway fryer".
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
There is not that much difference in engine speeds with the various transaxles at say 60mph/96kph.

Using my gear and speed calculator,  stock height tires (25.8in) and stock North American gear ratio transaxles I get the following:

5.375 with .82 - 4th gear = 3444rpm  - typically found in 72 and 73 T2 bus and 1.7 engine
4.86   with .89 - 4th gear = 3380rpm  - 74 and 75 T2 bus and 1.8 engine
4.57   with .89 - 4th gear = 3178rpm  - 76 -79 T2 bus and 2.0 engine

Now these are stock setups.  If you are running a 2.0 with the 5.375 then you might want to consider the 4.57.  As well the 1.7 and 1.8 have a shorter stroke crank and don't mind the higher rpms.  I have owned both and never had a problem sustaining reasonable highway speeds.  FYI.

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »
First of all Thank you
This is help I've been looking for
This 73 Westy came with replacement stand up 1600. The pancake 1800
Is long gone. Since the stand up has blown up
I have now I find myself at a crossroads.
Do I go back with the stand up 1600
Or do I go in with a 1800 pancake. 
I have access to either or

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »
Either of those 2 engines works best with that 5.37 ratio, the later trans was introduced when the stroke changed on the 2 liter engine. In any semi stock configuration the 002 works best with the smaller motors and vice versa with late trans and bigger ones, that 1700/1800 likes to wind up, that's when it's making the best Hp and torque. The longer stroke 2l falls on it's face behind an early trans when attacking a hill, the shift points just dont mesh with the RPM range the 2l makes it's best power at.
Later Euro delivered buses with the 1600 used the same ratios as what you have now, sounds like you've already got just what you need. You'll have to replace the input shaft if you go back to the type 4 since they must be shortened to fit the 1600 type 1 engine, or you can have a pilot bearing installed in the flywheel of the type 4.
Have you seen this? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
It  would be helpful to know if your bus was originally sold in the Can/USA market which means it would have come with a 1.7 engine. It would also be nice to see a picture of your current 1.6 engine install to see if it was done right.  All the correct engine tin, seals etc. Done poorly or missing some critical pieces could explain the boom boom.

As busdaddy said Euro busses came with a 1.6 from 73 to 79 as well as the larger engines and you may find a rebuilt 1.6 is much more cost effective.  So you go 55/90 on the highway.  Big deal.  Lots of them driving around Europe just fine.  I do not drive my 79 any faster.  Larger engines are very costly to build when done right and then you have to look at carbs, heat exchangers and exhaust.  All very costly. 

Lets start with pics of what you have please.

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Give me a day or so to get picks.  I can tell u that the 1.6 is not original. The engine stamp is AK and from what I have found it indicates this is a replacement motor.  The tins. Yes in correct. I am nearing completion of a full restoration and only started motor to move it around the shop.  Her last time to fire it sheared off an exhaust lobe. 
My reasons for questioning the transmission was when I first purchased her it would go over 50 mph and was turning 4k. Now the engine was probably not up to par but the high rpm concerned me.

For the record I only want to go at least 60 -65 mph on occasion.

Thanks again for helping me understand how things are designed.  I'm more of a body man painter than a mechanic. It shows 😛 Especially right now

Will send pics soon

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »
Sorry about broken sentences. Doing this on iPhone

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »
Update.

I loved the advice that at 60 mph. Have fun and enjoy the ride

I am Staying with what I got with one exception .
Engine at shop and will return a 1915.

I will have power to spare just in case.....