Author Topic: Bus motor size opinions / wtb / build / etc...  (Read 3287 times)

Offline 1969deluxebus

• Cruising in a Bay is the only way.
Bus motor size opinions / wtb / build / etc...
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
Hey guys, so I am think it maybe time. To think about a bigger engine for the bus. I have always been fond of the 1776 or the 2110 . What are people's thoughts on a good combination ? I would love to build it my self or if someone has a engine kicking around.  I would love to hear peoples opinions .  Thanks
Matt 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:59:14 PM by 1969deluxebus »
I love driving and I love driving either my bay window or TDI

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Bus motor size opinions / wtb / build / etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Hi Matt,
I've built many engines for Bay's over the years and here's what I use myself.

1914cc
Counterweighted 69mm crank, this will make it run very smooth and longer life if your doing long road trips.
Stock weight flywheel
Engle 100 cam (it's just a little larger than stock and helps build good torque.
Heads 041 Valve are a little larger than stock (you could also go with 40x35.5 but no larger
Full flow case so you can run external filter and cooler if needed
Carbs, I use 40mm webers onmine but Kadrons also work well.
I set my compression low at 7.5
As for a dist, If your carbs have a vac port run a single advance vac dist. I run a 009 with pertronix in mine and it runs great.

This combo will give you the power your looking for also a long reliable service life.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:19:49 PM by Geoff »

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »
vote it as a sticky for the bay curious site.

Hey G. Transmission gearing. Rancho boys are thinking a 4.57r/p and either a .82 fourth or a .77. any input?
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
For the Bay peeps out there looking for cost efective gearing...
My Fav swap (IF you have a larger engine as mentioned above) is a 091 78-79 Bus 6 rib trans into a 68-71 Early Bay.
For me this is the best stock swap. Take th e091, swap your bell housing and trim the end of the input shaft (if you dont it will bottom out on the crank)
swap your nose cone mount and instal the trans. The trans is a little longer so you may need to open up the moustache bar holes.
as seen below

The shifter may sit a little more towards the front of the van due to it's length but you can shorten the front shift rod under the drivers comp if you like.

This taller gearing makes a big difference as well as helps if your lowered and running smaller tires.
I run this combo in my 68 Westy.

If you have more $$$  more power and some skill... A Porsche 915 5 speed is great!

I have that in my 69 Panel with the Porsche 6cyl (you can use this trans with a T1 or T4 engine w/adapter flywheel)
In fact that 915 although not a great shifting trans allows my bus to cruise at 85-mph no prob with the 6cyl and it's only 170hp.
But bang for buck go 091!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:29:27 PM by Geoff »

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »
Thanks G! Got an 091 for sale?
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
Sorry dude, I don't have any at the moment. I did add a few pics for you.

Offline 1969deluxebus

• Cruising in a Bay is the only way.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
Man what a response so far. A 1914 doesn't get to hot? I am done with blowing spark plugs. I don't know if it is my driving style or if it is the engines .  I thought 94's got really hot? I would love to build this engine combo. Why would a person not go 1776 or 2110? I know 2110 would be a bigger cost for the crank is bigger .  Pros and cons ?  I have just seen/read about  these three  engines  in buses .  I have only ever had single ports . My first was 1641 which was unbeknownst until I took it apart.  Would be nice to have a engine to throw in the bus that I can be happy with. Thanks everyone
I love driving and I love driving either my bay window or TDI

Offline Geoff

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »
Man what a response so far. A 1914 doesn't get to hot? I am done with blowing spark plugs. I don't know if it is my driving style or if it is the engines .  I thought 94's got really hot? I would love to build this engine combo. Why would a person not go 1776 or 2110? I know 2110 would be a bigger cost for the crank is bigger .  Pros and cons ?  I have just seen/read about  these three  engines  in buses .  I have only ever had single ports . My first was 1641 which was unbeknownst until I took it apart.  Would be nice to have a engine to throw in the bus that I can be happy with. Thanks everyone

The spark plug issue is most likely a stripped plug hole that has been repaired and failed again or a badly cracked head. I've had it happen on very hight mileage engines.

90.5 have thick walls, the 92mm have always been thinner and the 94 get's a little thicker. The 92mm are now avail with thick walls if you want a 1835cc or 2180cc.
Heat is a direct effect of compression (and poor engine compartment sealing) since I run Bay engines at a low compression I don't have heat issues. As well when building a good engine be sure to use as much factory tin as possible. The engine shown above in my 68 westy has a aftermarket 36hp shroud but I took the time to install the OE thermo flaps and added a FI velocity ring to the fan intake. It runs cool and very smooth!

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »
Geoff, how would all these "thick wall" variations compare in cylinder wall thickness to the stock 94's in the 2.0 T4 motor.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
I've never measured the the difference to be honest. a guess would be the 94 t4 is thicker but just a guess.

I do a lot of Vancouver to LA road trips in my vans. A 1600 with a stock 002trans is good and reliable but slow. Slow is part of the VW Bus, Just enjoy the view in the slow lane and relax it's vacation time.  BUT!!! having that little extra power with a 1.9-2.0L and good trans just ,makes it a little more enjoyable. Being able to pass on a hill it pretty damn nice in a 40 yr old Bus.

As much as I like Early Bays the best driving Buses I've owned are 2.0L 091 1978-79. They are just so damn nice to drive. That's why I built my 68 with a 1914 and 091, Love it!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:26:13 AM by Geoff »

Offline Batan

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:59:38 PM »

As much as I like Early Bays the best driving Buses I've owned are 2.0L 091 1978-79. They are just so damn nice to drive. That's why I built my 68 with a 1914 and 091, Love it!

I hear ya. If I was to add another one, it would be that.
- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling