Author Topic: $#@!&*%$# Mouse!  (Read 802 times)

Offline blarneyman

$#@!&*%$# Mouse!
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:22:08 PM »
Went for a little 20 mile run to town and back in my bug tonight. Get home and I can smell burning oil from the engine (what the.....) Open the engine lid to find a mouse nest in the corner of the engine compartment made out of pieces of insulation. Start scaping the insulation out and find the plug wires got so hot the rubber boot at the tin is melted. The insulation was in such small pieces, I have a feeling they got sucked in the fan. Looks like an engine pull is in order :(  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
$#@!&*%$# Mouse!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:32:08 PM »
I hates them meeces to peeces!
Not a bad idea to pull it and have a look I had one with an oil cooler full and saw one with a blocked head, better to find out now than when it's cooked.

Where did the insulation come from? do you have a mouse condo in your headliner? Don't know about beetles but in a bus that's a recipe for drip rail rot from the inside and a really funky smelling ride.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline blarneyman

$#@!&*%$# Mouse!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »
The insulation came from the walls of the garage. I've got one area that isn't covered. I'm hoping that I caught it before any major damage was done. After it cooled down a bit I started it up and backed it into the garage.
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline blarneyman

$#@!&*%$# Mouse!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
Finally had a chance to start getting into the bug (TO STINKING BUSY!). Took off the engine lid, unhooked the wiring, gas line and throttle cable. Started looking a little closer at the engine and noticed pieces of insulation trying top come out of the seams of the tin. It's looking like I made the right decission even before I open it up completely.

Oh yah, I also have an eight inch puddle of oil under the car now :(  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia