Author Topic: 1/8 Mile Drag  (Read 1174 times)

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
1/8 Mile Drag
« on: May 17, 2005, 08:20:38 PM »
I found this on a forum. Maybe some of you guys are interested.

Taken from Revscene:

Thats right! IT'S ON!!! We had the trial runs a little while back and of the 40 cars that showed up, EVERYONE had a blast! We have secured the first event date!

Event: 1/8 Mile Drags presented by Revscene.net & Resist the Race Program
Date: May 21st, 2005 from noon to 8pm

Those of you that missed out last time missed a lot of fun! We have lots of different cars, from imports, to domestics! You may be saying, 1/8 mile is so short... it may be shorter than what ur use to at the 1/4 mile, but definitely not any less fun! You will top out at max 120km/h (so 3rd gear for most of us) However, because the turn around is so fast, you will get a good dozen runs if not more. You cant do that at 1/4 mile drag events. The first trial event had 40 cars, and went from 5:30 to 7:30. We managed to squeeze easily a dozen runs!

To offset the amount of insurance and track rental here are the prices.

Car + 1 driver = $25 for the whole 8hrs
each additional driver = $5
spectators = $5 (Yes, omg, spectators!)

As more of these events happen, the cost will go down. Each racer and volunteer will get a race credit, non transferrable. Save up enough race credits and u get in for an event FREE. Best part of all, PASSENGERS ALLOWED!!!

Requirements:
- a running car
- no major fluid leaks
- no helmets (yay!)

Those of you that have turbos have an area off to the side to cool down after ur few runs....

There will be food and refreshments at the location. And with ur hand stamped, there is in&out privileges...

lets make this event a good one so we can have these more often. If u want spects, 0-60 times, time slips, then go to mission =) This event is meant to be purely fun so u can finally race ur friends... legally

Car Club VS Car Club...

Shop VS Shop...

Offline Bruce

1/8 Mile Drag
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 09:25:43 PM »
Report:
I went down there to check it out today.  I was surprised at how many cars were there.  The surface they run on is really old concrete, and most cars seemed to get good bite.  
The cops set up a radar gun at the top end to give you your top speed.
Soon after I got there it started raining so they stopped for a while.
The next one is scheduled for sometime in July.
It was hard to find.  When you are heading east on Ladner Trunk rd, don't turn down 72nd, go all the way to 80th and turn right.  Go all the way until it ends and turn left.  Can't miss it.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
1/8 Mile Drag
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 11:28:03 PM »
they just had a clip on global news about this.

looks and sounds like it works. they showed some cop with a radar gun clocking a guy at 111. the 1/8 sure does look short. looked kind of bumpy at the start.

personally, i think it's a great idea. keep it off the street and keep it on the track.  

Offline Bruce

1/8 Mile Drag
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »
km/h

the right lane was pretty bumpy for the first 50' or so.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
1/8 Mile Drag
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 01:38:10 PM »

km/h

hkd/db

hello kitty dolls/dashboard. :P  

Offline Cameron

1/8 Mile Drag
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »
Well, it's over. Even though the drag racing event at Boundary Bay drew lots of racers, that will be the only race. There is an article in today's Province newspaper. And this one, I cut and paste, from CKNW.  Too bad! It would have been a much closer track for those of us in Vancouver.

BOUNDARY BAY(CKNW/AM980) - Looks like there isn't going to be any more drag racing at Boundary Bay Airport.

Airport General Manager Sandra Stoddart-Hansen says they have a lease with the Corporation of Delta and under the lease arrangement it's clear airport activities are to be restricted to aviation.

As for why last weekends drag racing event was allowed to go ahead: \"Well I was unaware that there was going to be a drag racing event at the airport so had i known that this was contemplated, I would not have allowed it to happen\"
Stoddart-Hansen says the operators want to \"enhance and grow\" the airport for its aviation purposes, not as a drag strip.

Drag Racing Appeal to Delta
May, 26 2005 - 7:00 PM

BOUNDARY BAY(CKNW/AM980) - He's been holding automotive events for several years at Delta's Boundary Bay Airport, but he's been told it's all come to an end, after a well-publicized weekend drag race.
Andrew Field is the General Manager of Boundary Bay Driving Center, holding all kinds of driving events on an unused portion of airport runway.

But following an RCMP sanctioned drag race at the airport, Field has been told he can't do anything there anymore, because it goes against the airport lease.

\"Which is very unfortunate because this is an abandoned runway that we have cleaned up and fixed up as best we can to use for these activities and we've conducted safe activities in the past and particularly the drag racing event, which was well organized.\"

Field intends to appeal to the Corporation of Delta.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:09:15 AM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!