Author Topic: 17"x7" wheels on 59 beetle ?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Adrenaln

• AirSpeed Forum Member
17"x7" wheels on 59 beetle ?
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:53 AM »
I've posted in tire forum but can't seem to find answers. I want to run 17s on fully bagged tubbed and trans raised car. Has anyone else ran them
On a slammed bug? if so please pm
Me just have a couple of questions before I order wheels thanks

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Re: 17"x7" wheels on 59 beetle ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
I guess my reply wasn't helpful then but in your tire forum entry your didn't specify that you were slamming it!
Rear shouldn't be a big deal biggest problems will be up front. So keep your rims narrow! Vdub engineering has a good write up on wheel tire combos that you might want to google I think it was referenced a few times in the samba forum. 
Sorry I wasn't more help.

Good luck with your search cheers Rene

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
You don't give enough info to get meaningful advice.
What is the offset of the wheels you want to use?

What gearbox are you using?  Original split case (not recommended), early full synchro short axle?  Late long axle? Converted to IRS?
What brakes are you using?  Stock 59 drums?  Stock 60s drums?  Discs?  Which kit?

Offline Adrenaln

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
My appologies Rene.  I guess I had not seen the reply.  And no I hadn't given a lot of specifics as I suppose I should

Is a 1959 beetle convertible.  Will be right hand drive. Will be a raised its transmission full custom air rear suspension, tubbed to accept wider rims as I do plan on the pan laying flat on the ground when down. I can fabricate whatever length axles I need once wheels are in place.  Using wide 5 empi disc kits with ebrakes on back.

Front am trying to figure out which brake setup possibly Wilwood but am not sure yet. Have 2.5" drop spondles and going with single airbag no shocks needlebearing narrowed beam and trying to decide on beam width whether 4 is enough to get clearance with 17x6" rims up front

IVe read most of the samba threads but I can't seem to find anyone up here in Bc that is laying their cars that low.  May just order the Airkewld wheels and build car from wheels in. :(.

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
There are a lot of guys in the UK with there cars that low. Here is a link to  quick write up on one maybe that can help you. Adrenaln

http://slamdmag.com/2014/07/brownbags-slammed-1967-vw-beetle/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:18:44 PM by s3racing »

Offline Adrenaln

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Wow thank you s3!! Exactly what I wanted to know.  I'll have to tub the front as well and notch the frame head  I'm going to stuff 17 x 7s all around.  Might even Toss the crotch coolers and semaphores into this build as well.  Thanks for digging that up answered all my questions :).  Yay.   Cheers