Author Topic: to cut or not to cut  (Read 5293 times)

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
Re: to cut or not to cut
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
Here you go. Don't know if it's a two fold or three. In Tacoma.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=665813

That's a 2fold

Offline Bruce

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
..... i wanted to hear thoughts on if doing so would lower the value of the car.
Not a bit.
There aren't a lot of buyers out there that hate sunroofs.  For those few buyers that dislike sunroofs, there are plenty of non-sunroof cars for them to look at.

You've already stated there's been significant metal replaced (front fire wall, heater channels, etc.)  Since split stampings differ from later oval bits or aftermarket, your car isn't going to be a 100 point car.  Build it the way you want it.  Then if some purist nerd wants to remove the sunroof, any roof stamping from any other year is the right shape. (except for 73+ Supers)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:34:03 PM by Bruce »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »
Good points Silas, although Richs' 50 was a basket and I'm 90% sure it was spliced. The Gates Split has $25K more in the running gear(EFI 2332/Berg5) while the 50 has a 25 HP. I feel the the splice won't hurt the resale value, that's the question first asked.

good points on the gates running gear...

but in rich's 50's defence...i'm still fairly certain it was an og rag. it was advertised as one on oldbug.com and i dont think randy would want to jeapordize his reputaion by falsly advertising a vehicle. i also swear that i read somewhere that it was an og rag. and even tho it's only a 25hp engine...it was pretty damn close to perfectly correct with all the right parts on it. and that car had alot of rare and hard to find split only goodies...alot more than the gates split. so when you factor in the cost of all the rare parts and the time that it takes to locate said parts...i would believe the total dollar value would be very signifigant.

Quote from: 52 split
would this ruin or help a future sale?

as for your original question...i dont think it would help a future sale. as the years pass by and split window bugs get harder to find, it think potential buyers will be more concerned with the originality of the vehicle. i believe that it will be more important to a prospective buyer that the car is as uncut as possible.

now...would it ruin a future sale? it's a split...it'll sell. but i think a perspective buyer is more likely to pass on a cut rag than a real hardtop.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:40:11 PM by silas »

Offline 52 split

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
thanks for your offer to help josh, iam up in alberni, give me your # or e-mail , i will call when help is needed, i could e-mail you or some one else and they could post a few pics of the car, not to sure  even how to use these smilies. i saw your car looks good.besides the samba where does one look for split rareities or acessories??

Offline silas

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
thanks for your offer to help josh, iam up in alberni, give me your # or e-mail , i will call when help is needed, i could e-mail you or some one else and they could post a few pics of the car, not to sure  even how to use these smilies. i saw your car looks good.besides the samba where does one look for split rareities or acessories??

if you want to post some pics of your split...you will need to host them somewhere (thesamba.com gallery, photobucket.com, etc) and then copy & paste the img properties to this forum.

if you want me to host them on thesamba.com & then post them here for you, email a few pics at silasbancroft@telus.net

cheers & good luck with the split by the way. i'm not trying to give you a hard time about wanting to put a rag in your split....i'm just stating my opinion thats all.

i know that you will do what you feel is right and will drive and enjoy the car as you should. when it's all said and done...we build cars to please ourselves...not others!!!

Offline josh

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »

right on man, my parents are building a place in Bamfield.... I may pass through port next time I go up.....i'd dig seeing your project. my # is 250-588-7025, email is joshbuchan@shaw.ca if you need your pics posted

cheers josh
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
Good points Silas, although Richs' 50 was a basket and I'm 90% sure it was spliced. The Gates Split has $25K more in the running gear(EFI 2332/Berg5) while the 50 has a 25 HP. I feel the the splice won't hurt the resale value, that's the question first asked.

good points on the gates running gear...

but in rich's 50's defence...i'm still fairly certain it was an og rag. it was advertised as one on oldbug.com and i dont think randy would want to jeapordize his reputaion by falsly advertising a vehicle. i also swear that i read somewhere that it was an og rag. and even tho it's only a 25hp engine...it was pretty damn close to perfectly correct with all the right parts on it. and that car had alot of rare and hard to find split only goodies...alot more than the gates split. so when you factor in the cost of all the rare parts and the time that it takes to locate said parts...i would believe the total dollar value would be very signifigant.
If you wanted to know the true market value, you would have to do a statistical survey.  You need at least 30 samples to get an accurate picture.  Any statistician would look at the Gates and Rich' 50 splits, and ignore them as irrelevant.  They sold for so much more than the norm, they are considered outliers.

Offline silas

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
If you wanted to know the true market value, you would have to do a statistical survey.  You need at least 30 samples to get an accurate picture.

ya...i'll get right on that.  ::)

Any statistician would look at the Gates and Rich' 50 splits, and ignore them as irrelevant.  They sold for so much more than the norm, they are considered outliers.

i disagree...those 2 cars are very relevant to each other and the market of top shelf split sales and i dont think they sold for way more than the norm because the fact is...is that they sold. iirc, there was recently a buddy hale restored bone stock split for sale for around $55k...so when you think about the gates split running gear and rich's 50 split rare parts...they went for what they were worth.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »
You've missed my point.  Those cars don't represent the average car on the market.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:34:34 PM by Bruce »

Offline surgerypending

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
I'd say if your keeping it stock...and thats your thing....don't do it!
On the other hand....I perfer the cal-look resto-custom thing....lets just say i'd  put it in!
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline silas

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
You've missed my point.

your point was to gather 30 cars and do a statistical survey to find the market value. that's not going to happen (here at least).

then you stated that any statistician would ignore the gates and rich's split as irrelevant because...

Those cars don't represent the average car on the market.

this is true. but they do represent 2 cars that were on the market not to long ago and it also proved that a split can draw a hefty price in original (modified) condition. i brought up those 2 cars because they were 2 splits that were pretty close to similar in my eyes and worth a comparison...both an og hardtop and an og ragtop...both built by the same guy...etc...

truth be told...statisticians probably dont give a f@#k about old acvws...so you shouldnt waste your time waiting for one to stop in. ;)

Offline silas

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
i started a thread and posted some pics of 52 splits car in the "members gallery".

nice to see some local vintage split steel!! check it out!!!

Offline 52 split

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
well seems to be a split decision on cut or not, no pun,i will see what the costs to do and if someone is able to do it. this time i asked about cutting. you see at sixteen years of age a shorty van was a neat thing, the auto shop teach said his farm came with a rusted vw van i could have,this thing was good for my plans before i did my 69, the van was missing all running gear, striped insides,only springs for a seat, no front floor. well after a foot + half removed i was not to do this to my 69. to much work+ a sixteen year old needs transport not a van cut in half,way diff van than mine i thought. small rear window, huge engine bay door you could climb in, tiny round lights, solid looking rear shocks.  hmmm   lesons learned , ask ,research, ask again!. i did save the dash pod, window latches, those little glass lights+a few others which i took to a so cal swap meet in 1980 thinking some one would want old parts here , the mecca of vws not like back home, lane evans -htvws fame said 60 bucks was to much for the lot, no other takers that day. a long way to take this junk i thought. oh well that was then.  lessons learned indeed

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »
well seems to be a split decision on cut or not, no pun,i will see what the costs to do and if someone is able to do it. this time i asked about cutting. you see at sixteen years of age a shorty van was a neat thing, the auto shop teach said his farm came with a rusted vw van i could have,this thing was good for my plans before i did my 69, the van was missing all running gear, striped insides,only springs for a seat, no front floor. well after a foot + half removed i was not to do this to my 69. to much work+ a sixteen year old needs transport not a van cut in half,way diff van than mine i thought. small rear window, huge engine bay door you could climb in, tiny round lights, solid looking rear shocks.  hmmm   lesons learned , ask ,research, ask again!. i did save the dash pod, window latches, those little glass lights+a few others which i took to a so cal swap meet in 1980 thinking some one would want old parts here , the mecca of vws not like back home, lane evans -htvws fame said 60 bucks was to much for the lot, no other takers that day. a long way to take this junk i thought. oh well that was then.  lessons learned indeed

One more barndoor bus bites the dust. I'm sure you weren't the only one to cut up one of those.
I think I should smite you for it anyways though. ;) :D
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T