Author Topic: 72 ,66 rag  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Alisdair

• i have no plan, im sticking to it !!
  • ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʇ
72 ,66 rag
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi my name is Al or  Scotty to some of you as i grew up in scotland , moved to canada in 92 and today i  live in Williams Lake  BC.
This is my umpteenth vw project since 1984 which started with a 1972 weltmeister or marathon as it was commonly known ,  a limited edition type 1 from 72 when volkswagens production surpassed fords model T in single model  car sales at 15,007,034 beetles, it was my grandfathers old car with 33,200miles . 1 of only 5000 weltmeisters \
nothing special just  paint , ten spoke wheels and centre caps.

I am not new to airspeed forum nor am i a stranger to many of you since purchasing ryans 66 from Nanaimo , ive also met many of you at the swap meets over the years , i have no idea why i waited til now to introduce myself .
 The 66 was restored in 98-2000 and will also be changing its colour this winter, currently orange , soon to be two tone  black/ orange with ragtop. Front beam has now been narrowed 5" ,looks killer', pic was taken before it was narrowed.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:37:57 AM by Alisdair »
66 ragtop bug, 55 Bugaudi 33 dodge 6

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
Re: 55 type 1 with quattro turbo and a chop top?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

im not new to airspeed forum nor am i a stranger to many of you since purchasing ryans 66 from Nanaimo. i restored it in 98 and will also be changing its colour this winter, currently orange , soon to be black with ragtop.

What are the chances that the only other 66 bug in williams lake is going to be black as well, leave it orange, its hot the way that it is!

Offline Bruce

Re: 55 type 1 with quattro turbo and a chop top?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
What are the chances that the only other 66 bug in williams lake is going to be black as well....
Look at the bright side.  If someone reports you to the :police:, you can say it was the other black Bug in town.  :D

Offline Alisdair

Re: 55 0val quattro
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
perhaps ill leave the side orange , and go two tone. then again ................... :police:.good point

Offline somevwguy

• Jeff
    • strictlygerman.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
That is a very good point.... :police:  it could be fun...

Offline Alisdair

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »

this is how it looked when i bought it

and after  paint

sadly this is how its sitting rite now , gotta kick that bugaudi thing outside and let mother nature work on the "paint"

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:25:11 AM by Alisdair »

Offline Alisdair

Re: 66 ragtop
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
when i restored the body of this car in 2000 i didn't  intend to drive it much, but things  dont always go as planned.
 It's served me very very well as a 2nd car when needed  but was showing its age due to several chips in the paint and general road rash  here and there.  The engine is weak and started burning oil before i   parked  it in aug 08 .
 so with that in mind i have spent the last few weeks  sanding and painting the body  ,now 2 tone orange /black  . 3 tone if you include the off white fender bead. not sure if im going to leave it off white  or change it to black .  

Thanks to Stefan Feeg for the ragtop clip. I purchased  one many years ago at the GCVWS  without any of the sliders or hardware thinking id find the parts no problem , that was 10 yrs ago during which time i made a removable hardtop,   finally i have the parts and  have ordered the new ragtop cover  to finish it off. cheers Stefan .

i also purchased a  1641cc rebuild kit from CIP which is next on the to do list before i get back on to the  bugaudi build.

thanks for checkin it out , ill add more pics later as i bolt it back together.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:54:03 AM by Alisdair »