Author Topic: My Baja Oval ???  (Read 2821 times)

Crank

My Baja Oval ???
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Lol ... Kidding.

Here is my bug as she sits... I'm hoping to bring it to the GCVW.
The shop that did the metalwork on my car a few years ago made a few mistakes that I am finally fixing.
The rear quarters were welded in crooked and at too much of an angle, making proper bumper mounting, the use of rear engine tin and engine seal, and making decklid alignment impossible.

Because it was previously welded on too short, I decided to replace the quarters w/bumper mounts. I ordered the metal from Wolfsburg West as CIP was out of the left side or something.
So a friend and I cut the rear clip off yesterday, seperated the apron and quarters and removed the trays.
Today we adjusted and test fit all the metal, the bumpers and decklid. Repaired the rear apon and trays and replaced the c channel for the seals.
Tomorrow we weld and do the bodywork. Maybe paint tomorrow night.  :P

Couple of pics.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: My Baja Oval ???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
that's some good work. good for you for fixing the previous owners bodgery.

you gotta bring it out for the great canadian weekend...even if it's in filler or primer!!!

Crank

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
Thanks!

I think the car will be ready for the show, but maybe not for the pancake breakfast. 

There was progress today. ;D

She gets paint in the morning  :P

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »
Wicked! hope to see it there

Crank

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
Thanks Silas, thanks Geoff!

The bodgery to this car wasn't from a previous owner, I had to pay for it!  :o
Unfortunately the arrangement was a work swap, metalwork and paint for services (that sounds nasty but it's not!). The shop cut a few corners and didn't line things up correctly etc.
The last time the car was at there shop,I showed up to find them with a come along on my bumper mount trying to stretch open the engine compartment so the engine would fit!
 >:(  :o

The next day I showed up with a trailer and packed up the car and all my parts. No more of that! So for the last few years I have been picking away at the bodgery.

Well the rear clip got paint yesterday... we were a little rushed so we did a quick job and it has a few flaws but I'll do the final finishing work and dial in the fit and finish after the show when I tackle the next at that time. I jumped the gun and wanted to get started on putting the car together and well a few more flaws... lol.
It's ok, it is really nice to have all the tin and an engine seal again.
At least now I can drive in the rain without the engine sucking in water, and I won't need to clean my idle jets everytime I leave my dusty driveway.

See ya at the show!