Author Topic: Dune Buggy Seats  (Read 4670 times)

Offline pittwagen

Dune Buggy Seats
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
I have had my street legal rail for quite some time but unfortunately I always find myself working on other projects or driving something else.

The seating I have falls into the OK category.  I have added extra padding both in the base and backrest but I suspect if I start driving it any amount of time (say all day for a couple of days) I will want a seat upgrade with more support and comfort.  Here is what I have.

So my question to Airspeed Forum buggy owners is what are you running and what is the best out there.  Thanks for your help.

Offline t096772

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Dune Buggy Seats
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »
new to this site, however, have been a VW owner for over 30 years...

My son and I are starting the planning of a street legal "buggy"...

THEN, I saw your vehicle.....!!!!

He wants a rail, however, I was under the impression that is was not an easy thing to register, however. yours looks like it is as simple as a Manx style buggy (in that you have a body and roll bar bolted to your pan)

Did you build it yourself?

is it the original Pan VIN?

Can you share anything else relevant.

Thanks!

Steve Sheprd
604-328-5927
Past:
69 Fastback, 66 Beetle - turned to Manx, 72 Karmann Ghia Vert, 71 Squareback, 77 Scirocco, 96 VR6 Passat
Present:
03 TDI golf
Future:
TBA Dunebuggy

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »
My buggy is constructed from a Bugpack Invader tube frame chassis.  There is no pan.  Bought the bare chassis and not much else from a local fellow.  I did the rest myself.  It has its own VIN issued by ICBC.  No BS with grafting on a VW VIN.  Everything was done properly with no corners cut. 

It was fully inspected by a designated inspection facility and passed the first time. 

- 1600sp with doghouse oil cooling,
- IRS rear suspension with 002 bus trans, chromoly axles, 100mm Thing cv's
- engine and trans skid plates
- stock 61 T1 king/link front suspension
- dual exhaust with spark arrestors
- vdo gauges, stock T1 wipers, super beetle gas tank
- 16ga. floor and 22ga. body, Detachable hood.

Here is another pic from the 2011 GCVWS.  That was a good day.

Offline 52 split

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
did you find better seats,and are you selling the old ones?

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »
Found better seats but the fit was an issue.  Seats not for sale.

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
Years ago a buddy of mine had the same sand rail frame. There is a carbo suspension seat that is narrow 2 of them will fit. Down side if you're a bit on the chunky size like me their to tight

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
Do you recall the brand?  The problem I have is the outboard arm rest I added.  About 42" across the upper back area.  Not much room at the base either.  I have added some extra padding in the seats but I don't think they would be adequate for a long ride. The seats need to be very low in order to see out the windshield as well.  Seat sliders don't help either.

Offline buggy1

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
I've done some long drives with those seats including last year's Spring thaw, 1200kms in three days and found them quite comfortable over the long haul. I'd try em out on a roadie for a while to see if they work. I did put some seat heaters in them though what a great idea for an open car. The Baja bug is very narrow inside as well with the roll cage and steering brakes.
Andy
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:41 PM »
Good advice.  Think I will try them as is with the extra padding.  Seat heaters are great. Have them in my bus.  I left room for a gas heater and stock heaters as well.  Need some type of roof and some wind deflectors around the side mirrors to make it a little more all weather. Know what I have to do.  Other projects get in the way.

Offline 52 split

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
where are working on a street rail as well, was going to use 914 seats but they are to tall. what are the ones in your buggy.oh and are you using only lap belts.  thanks

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
Poly seats and Tiger deluxe seat belts (2" shoulder 3" lap) all from CIP.