Author Topic: 56 deluxe oval - the project is getting close to road.  (Read 15778 times)

Offline J A Red

• Previously known as Reed Green
Re: 56 deluxe oval - the project begins
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
A couple more pics
'56 Reed Green Deluxe Oval - sold
'59 Dove Blue Single Cab - sold
‘59 Light Green Double Cab
Sherbet Orange Meyers Manx

Offline J A Red

Re: 56 deluxe oval - the project begins
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
Last 2 for tonight

Offline J A Red

Re: 56 deluxe oval - the project is getting close to road.
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »
Time for an update on the Oval. After not making down to the GCVWS last year because of a number of issues, I put it back in the garage and took a break.
First issue was not being able to properly tune my carbs. After some reading turned out that this was not uncommon with the WW repro carbs sold in their kits. So I sent the carbs down to Joe Ruiz in Cali to have them "worked" on.
Second issue. My original trans was leaking like crazy and super loud. So in November I sent it down to Dave Cosgrave in Chiliwack, and had it rebuilt. Dave found that the pinion gear had a few teeth broken off and was in need of some TLC.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
here's hoping your carb & trans issues can be fixed pronto so you can get some seat time this summer!  :cool:

Offline J A Red

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
So it’s been a while since my last post so thought I’d do an update.

The engine:
After getting the reproduction carbs back from getting the throttle shafts rebushed to stop the shafts leaking fuel, I still had problems getting the engine to run right. So out came the engine and time to look a little deeper. Keep in mind I had bought this as a running engine with not a lot of history of the engine itself other than it had been refreshed for the PO. After pulling off the fan shroud, I noticed evidence of leaks between the intakes and the heads. Took the intakes off and they both needed to be machined flat. While I was at it, I found some minor leaks between the heads and exhaust flanges so spent a day getting all the surfaces flat and true, added new gaskets and put the everything back together. While I was at I did a complete rebuild of the carbs, even though there wasn’t many miles on them, and installed a new main seal (old one had been seeping). Engine went back in, started up and right away seemed to be running much better, got the carbs synced up and tuned and it was idling real smooth. While letting it warm up to do the timing I looked under the engine to find a large puddle, and oil dripping from the front of the motor! Long story short, turns out the “36hp” main seal I had sourced did not seal properly around the flywheel. As of 3 weeks ago it has a new Wolfsburg West main seal and appears to be running with no real leaks!

The interior:
Since the last update I’d been researching new interiors. I had the original seat covers and door panels that were dark green vinyl with light green piping. My plan was to change to a nice tan cloth interior but found after some searching that a Deluxe Oval in Reed green with vinyl interior was not very common at all. So vinyl it was, and turned out that Lenny Copp was the only supplier that could get that colour. A month later I had a complete Lenny Copp interior including headliner, sitting in my garage. How hard could it be to install?? I remember Josh telling me he did his headliner and it was a piece of cake to do (he didn’t really say that. He said it was a pain) anyway I decided to try. Headliner took about 4 tries and more patience than I thought I had, carpet was slightly easier and by the time I got to the seats it was a breeze.

So now with just a week left to GCVWS’18 I can say my car will be there.

Offline J A Red

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
Some interior pics

Offline J A Red

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »
and a few more

Offline J A Red

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Now at this point with the exceptions of some accessories to add and a few little details to work on, the car is done(ish). There is a brand new 36hp vintage speed engine being built to replace this one, but that is a whole different story for another time. Here are a couple last shots from the local VW show (Das AutoShau), and looking forward to seeing you all at the GCVWS next week.

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Great looking car!  I'm excited to see it at the GCVWS!