Author Topic: 1974 baja W/ 1776  (Read 1621 times)

Offline chopper-town

• AirSpeed Forum Member
1974 baja W/ 1776
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
hey guys. new to the forum, and new to bugs. finelly picked up a child hood dream of mine. a 74 baja. the thing is solidly built. yada yada yada. thats basicly my introduction for now.

i am how ever trying to figure out a bit of a motor "issue"

i have a 1766 DP in it set up with twin kadron carbs W/ what i belev to me 40MM ventures. 9.0 comp, 120 cam, stock ratio lifters, air advance dist. 40X35.5 MM valves. ported heads. thats about all the info i know about it seeing as i didnt build it my self.

now, my problem is...it drives like a turbo car. the bottom end has a light pull but once it hits RPM it comes alive and screams. to me, this would not be a problem as i like high RPM on the dirt. but as of right now it is seeing as it has single springs and does not have a counter balanced crank, two things i have read are critical for a high reving VW motor, it is deffinitly a problem.

so, id like to figure out why the bottom e. nd is so gutless. could it be the ventures are to big? the exhuast is to restrictive? timing isnt set right for the application? jetting( im thinking it may be playing a part in it, i do alot of two stroke tuning so i know basics of jetting, the plugs are black and sooted, will jet down a size or two) i would just like a place to start, and not just shooting in the dark.

thanks guys, and cheers. sorry if some of the stuff does not make sense, i just worked a 24 hour shift at work. now, im off to bed to hopfully wake up to an answer or two of were i should start

Offline Bruce

Re: 1974 baja W/ 1776
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »
An Engle W-120 cam requires double springs. 

What's an "air advance distributor"?  Which distributor do you have?  What is it timed to?

Offline chopper-town

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
woops. as said, was tired.

its a VAC advance stock dizzy. with new points and condensers set right. i do have a pertronics kit on the way for it.

i do not know the timing as of yet.

Offline 52 split

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:45 AM »
he has a 034, kads moded for vac advance,single heavy duty springs,timing set @ 28-30 degrees @3000 rpm