Author Topic: Jim Martin  (Read 163580 times)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Jim Martin
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »
Man you do some pretty nice work. I was also wodering if the Knowledge thread engine assembly was going to happen. Thanks.

i'm really sorry i have all the parts too do it .but right now i have zero extra time at work as well as at home .i was going too do it during lunch time as well as get my 2 year appretices/Ron too help.but i'm swamped and barely have time too sit down for lunch or spare free time for Ron
but it will happen !!!                                                                                          i have some things planned in the mean time that may allow me too get the car done as well as compile  some topics for discussion !!!
what i will do is when i put the pan level again/very soon.
i will do various knowledge threads that tie in with reassembley-some topics will be \"suspension and set -up\" \"degreeing a cam\" \"valve lift and clearance\"
\"coil bind\" \"piston/cyinders/rings\" \"deck height\"
i'm sure a few more will pop up as well ,sorry for no complete motor as of now ,but i think these will be great in the mean time.

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Jim Martin
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2004, 09:35:01 AM »
i will do various knowledge threads that tie in with reassembley-some topics will be "suspension and set -up" "degreeing a cam" "valve lift and clearance"
"coil bind" "piston/cyinders/rings" "deck height"

awesome idea jim.  

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
Jim Martin
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2004, 11:36:30 PM »
thanks silas . i will move those topics down too the proper sections for general discussion,should be fun.this weekend i will get the dolly for the shell finnished as well as get the pan cleaned/welded/painted.then i can clean the garage and  will start right away on putting the suspension back in.this should tie well with the suspension and set up thread.

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2004, 01:42:26 PM »
since i had a extra day off  last week alot got done.

first on the list of things too do was get the shell on a dolly so i could move it around.cost for the dolly set up is under$60.00 and will colapse and store in a milk crate.just toss the 2by4's and it's ready too pack up.
construction of it is simple and will adjust to any size car.
this will make futre work in the garage a snap.

master body man TATE WESTERMAN just had too get into the pictures
he is lovin the weather and the new dolly system .if you need air-brush/body modifications/body work or even a tatoo call him his attension to detail is excellent.
outside for a blow off. new dolly works great.sanded and ready for primer

a little bit of fresh primer alway makes you feel like alots getting done.
some times when you look at the body it's hard too notice it's chopped.

man i love this picture ,out with the glass nose and in with the steel clip. if you look back at past shots , now you can see the smooth look under the hood i'm going for.its going too look great with the fuel cell in there

dash area is also lookin great .i love this colour it is really growing on me,
there is something about that primer cream yellow that just says old but cool
                                                      i love this look of cleaned metal
all damaged area's cut out and filled and ready for paint.
i was amazed for all the years of abuse the lack of pan damage was almost nil.there was 3 small rust spots i drilled out and welded up as well

voila.painted the under side with semi gloss por 15 .that way the frt suspension and rear tran and suspension will stand out

you can see i lot got done i'm very happy with the pan ,check with the earlier shots of the pan and clip .the end result is fantastic!! i'm really happy with the progress.total time too replace the clip was about 4 working weekend's , which is not bad considering the modification that went into it as well as all the small things that creep up along the way.the end result is worth it.
well this coming up friday all time will be spent cleaning the garage as it is a disaster area coverd in about a inch of dust and grinding crap.
then i can push the pan outside too clean off the top side that is coverd in body shop dust.bring it in ,get it leveled and start reassembley of it.but first i will need too take a detour too the motor and take the top end apart for a few modifications,and see what parts i will need
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:37:42 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline sourkraut

Jim Martin
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2004, 10:24:47 PM »
Its amazing to me to see how much stuff you get done in one day. Did you spray the primer yourself it looks very nice.
Und ich Idiot habe es gemacht.

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2004, 10:44:34 PM »
thanks sourkraut.no tate would not let me touch the primer gun that day,hahaha  . there seamed too be a problem with the compressor and controlling flow was a little tricky, i got too get some new equipment. but besides that he is damb good at it.yes i was amazed that in 6 hours he came in,busted off last weeks filler added more sanded it and primerd it and the under dash as well in one day.the result looks great
i think with all projects there is a time where nothing ever seams too get done.but you just keep picking away at it then all of a sudden ,bang it all comes together quickly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 11:01:07 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline sourkraut

Jim Martin
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2004, 11:12:11 PM »
Could you take a few picts of the mounts for your roll cage. I just want to see where it mounts in the center. Did you prime all of the fenders and doors as well.
Thanks Steve
Und ich Idiot habe es gemacht.

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2004, 11:29:59 PM »
this should help.

you can see in some of the other topic photos that the forword tubing mounts onto plates on the heater channel and the rear mounts onto plates in the rear shelf corners with brakets cut through the floor for links too attach to the rear frame horns.frame was built at chief chassis,leave that stuff too the pro's.
yes the doors and fenders were all primerd last year ,except for the new fiberglass stuff for this year.those parts will pet the final primer shot after they are all gone over 1 more time .but tate has too finnish the shell.at the rate he works and with the majority of work alread done last year it should go fast.
keep the work up on your car ,i will check your topic often and see how its coming along
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:39:26 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2004, 01:49:50 PM »
sorry lots of photos taken but none used today ,they will be for upcoming 'knowledge threads'.
i needed too finnish the shop cleaning and do some engine/trans dissasembley work in order too get parts rolling so everthing will flow together apon reassembley, with no holdups
transmission had a oil leak from the input shaft in the nose cone so it was taken off and sent back too bergs for repare.
top end of the motor was taken apart for upgrades and inspection. heads will go to darren too perform his magic on ,and the piston/barrel/ring issue will need too be looked into as i have a set of non seating total seal rings.
-parts are now orderd so i can get back too cleaning/washing the pan and get it ready for parts being reinstalled.
hopefully things will come together soon
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 07:02:02 AM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Jim Martin
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2004, 06:19:23 PM »
Man that is great work I love it.... Cant wait to line up beside you in Mission

Great Job bud
 :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:31 AM »
when i get this damb thing together much time will be spent at mission.
I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!
that will be a great match up.  THE HULK vs. THE WOK
it'll be fun too get a couple of forced induction cars running down the track.
keep you posted.maybe for a breakin run i could drive somewhere for a cup of coffee .know a good place pointblank????                                            
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 09:13:06 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Jim Martin
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2004, 01:32:13 PM »
You bring that Beast to MOJO's and Coffee is on me!!!!!

Man the \"WOK\" is looking good....

Cheers
Shane

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline lizard

• http://
Jim Martin
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2004, 11:57:04 PM »
wow jim ,nice work, :rockon: . Whats it run in the 1/4 ?

I vote on flat black for a color but thats me. :D  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2004, 10:22:44 PM »
man what a nice day friday i was able too get the last of the pan work done.
so time too wheel it outside for a wash off !!man was it coverd in body dust.
all washed off and cleaned in order to get the  outer pan edges ready for paint

a couple of beers later with the help of the sun it was dry and ready for paint,so in it goes for a little por 15.
if you look close you can see the outer lip is in semi-gloss and the inner is in gloss.i found out from last summer that the semi-gloss does not take abuse/scratches well .but the gloss does and if you want too touch it up it blends instantly.

so underside and rear suspension torsion/frame horns are semi gloss and inner floor pan is gloss.will look great when assembled!
garage is clean and orginized !!!! finnaly i can find what i need when i want it.body work on one side and the serious stuff on the otherside.
now i'm officially on the reassembley !!!!parts are going on the pan and staying there.my trans nose cone was replaced from the bergs and is on the way back! so this friday i will work on rear suspension swing plates and  prepping the trans to go back in,i must admit its way more fun too put thing together-thing will pick up now!!
tate stopped in for his sunday special as well a silas dropped by .must of heard of all the free beer i had floating around.so there was alot of talk and work happening.tate finnished off the interiour take a good look closely and you can see the smooth inner look !! up close its clean and smooth!very nice!

with the cage painted the same colour it takes on this fat tubing look .but the thing blend in from the outside so well it gives that stealth look i like.

here is something i made last year.it is a dual purpose item . first it is a spring plate retainer . second , if you look at the bottom plate there are special cut replaceble wedges that limit suspension down travel too either
0 camber / 1/2 deg possitive or 1 deg positive camber.this system works great and has proven reliable enough that i will use it again .but most inportant my adjustable spring plates clear the brackets !!!!!yeah!!lucky

if you remember i had said earlier i had taken a little detour too do some trans and engine inspection,the trans is getting the oil leak/nose cone repared as well as a new modified rear mount .and the motor is getting some upgrades as well.after taking the heads and barels off i got a good look inside at the cam , NO WEAR !!!break in complete!!!
i started a complete remeasure of all top end componets starting with lift at the cam .well that flash is killing me on the camera.anyway .388 lift on all lobes.

after rechecking and confirming tdc on my pulley i figured i would recheck cam timing.you can almost see at .050 lift at the intake i'm at 32deg btdc which means i'm running my cam at 4 deg advanced .will be making a change but will let you in on that later as i'm really going too concern my self with the intake closing event as this is a nitrous motor and that is more critical.

don't ever let your daughter see you take her play-doe .man i'm in trouble.
i had a little time and had lost all my original measurement so i wanted too clay the pistons in order too check for valve to piston clearance.after darren lets me know what i can safely lift with my valve train i will adjust rocker geometry too meet that number.air is power!!
this is what it looks like after you install your head and rocker assembley /adjust 0 lash and turn it over.head is now off and i have cut into the centre of the exhaust  valve inpression.
SEE THE OIL CONSUMPSSION IN CYLIDER #4 .big concern but will get too that later on .parts on way as well as lesson learned !!

you can see i have arond .2220 inches valve too piston clearance.that a tonn of room which will alow for more lift !!! as well i check the clearance with the cam at 0 and 4 deg retarded for valve too piston clerance.like i said before the one thing you overlook will come back to haunt you later.

on the intake there is also well over ,2000 valve to piston clerance.so i'm in good shape.parts are on the way .so engine reassembley is coming soon.as are some more tricks i've picked up.

here is a race tip .by setting my valve clearance at 0 i picked up just over .011 lift at the valve .so if you are real serious at the track with a hot engine .pop of your valve covers and reset the clearance too .001 .like i said its a race tip not a practical one .but air is power!!the more you get in the more you get out of it!!
can't wait for friday and the big brown truck too arive with my rings and nose cone!!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:49:06 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Hansk

Jim Martin
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2004, 10:42:34 PM »
Looking good Jim!!! great info too! thanks
Big fat black fastback

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2004, 11:06:59 PM »
Looking good Jim!!! great info too! thanks
i hope people enjoy reading/looking at something different.
i know years ago i would flip through mags  looking at all the little hidden thing/parts that were barley noticeable trying too figure out what was being used as well as how they were assembled.i still do it now.i have taken so many photos i cant possibley display them all . but will try too show those same photos that i would want too see.

Dialedinp

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2004, 12:45:56 AM »
goddamn it jim, what did you do to tate's arm? i guess now that the majority of the bodywork is done he only needs one arm to hold the spray gun,eh!

thanks for having me over. it's always fun times. it was cool talking hockey w/ margaret the super gram.

awesome info and detail w/ the photos too. i know i'm learning a thing or two.

seriously folks, jim has one bad ass car. watching this car get put together is gonna blow your minds. kudos to you jim, for doing such great work and doing most if not all of it yourself.

i cant wait to see it blast the 1/4. the car and driver are gonna be serious contenda's.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 12:47:12 AM by silas »

Offline OUTKAST

Jim Martin
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2004, 08:14:18 PM »
I'm going to hafta close in my garage next year so I can do some more work on the van . your cars coming along great . where did you get all your knowledge from it's quite intresting watching the engine steps .I have never set my own valves  :(  hope to get a lesson next week .I will admit I'm getting a little better at taking risks and learning or asking my friend eric for help. If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a job. I just finished my steel fab apprenticeship but don't have welder ,or shop right now.  :( .All will come in due time .Can't wait to see it come together
Later OUTKAST :)
P.S. nice tatoo I 've got 4 myself and more to come in time also

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 07:13:28 PM »
thanks SILAS for the kind words , you are always welcome anytime,i'm glad you got to talk to tate and get any body tips you need .he is the one too ask!!for sure.  don't worry my daughter will lend you her ear muffs soon enough.
well OUTCAST i work at mercedes-benz canada as the shop foreman in the richmond location.my knowledge , or lack of it at times. comes from along way back .one day when we meet i can fill you in.  
i'm glad you like the motor shots ,when i reassemble the eng and trans i will start some topics in the tech section .that should be fun.yep for sure do the work on your bus/car yourself .there is no easier car too learn on than a aircooled vw.and i'm sure you know there is a tonne of help just a keypad away if you get stuck..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 08:40:15 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »
don't worry my daughter will lend you her ear muffs soon enough.

ear muffs, we dont need no stinking earmuffs!!

after playing drums in so many rock & roll & punk bands over the past 10 years, my eardrums are shot! i will however be able to make out the sweet sound of the ida's sucking air and the straight cuts cutting a rug.

i would be honoured to ride shotgun in such a sweet car B)  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2004, 09:20:33 PM »
hope your not worried about a bottle of nitrous between your legs.
--i mean if your going go for a ride .might as well be a memorable one.

trust me there is no better sound than a engine on nitrous!!
inside the car under full throttle and a 70hp shot its crazy in there.
i don't even know how to describe it.
tranny nose cone just arrived.looks like i better get those spring plates back on

Dialedinp

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2004, 11:00:49 PM »
sign me up, jim! B)  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2004, 08:50:50 PM »
ever have one of those days where you think you will get a lot done .
but nothing comes together,well that was me .between calls from work and lack of prechecking i was forced too do a few small things that would needed to get done,but i did not want to do.
after finnishing painting the rear shock towers and getting my spring plate measurements  it was time too assemble.NO PARTS did not realize that the adjustable plates take a 2inch inner and  1 7/8 outer-oh well
so i put on the new nose cone back onto the 5 speed.it was great RANCHO AND BERGS helped me out !! then got the glass hood operating.first time since i owned the car it has had a operating hood!!
-thank god TATE arived on sunday too make some progress,he split some seams from where i welded the new rear clip on as well as replaced the seal pinch strips basically repared my mess .very clean and looks great.i also enlarged the carb acces points

you can see the final result in the engine bay after all the repare work has been finnished. it looks great ,especially for a futre 911 shroud.rear clip look smooth again.

this picture is great because when you look at the roof curve it's 100 true , as well as the overall shape you CAN'T tell it chopped from behind!! unless you really now your cars.its kind of nice that way , gives that stealth effect from the rear.

primming a car is a snap if a 3 1/2 year old can do it ,SO CAN YOU!
hell one day she will own it so she better work on it!

well all thats left on the shell is the roof and rear quarters.that will be next sunday !
as for me hopefully engine parts will come in and i could go visit airspeed and darren.since i can't get a damb thing done around here might as well go for a drive
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:11:43 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Jim Martin
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2004, 08:58:55 PM »
Awesome!

We're waiting for ya Jim :D  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2004, 10:37:10 PM »
well seams i am still at that stage during a project called a lul.which means there is so much cool stuff to do but you can't do them because of a hold up from something else.so in orderd too fill time as parts arrive i decided too finish some needed small / time consuming things.which always turn into large jobs
first in order too keep the deck lid closed for that smooth /stealth look and still have cool engine tempatures , something i played with last year is going in full time
RAM AIR for carb intakes as well as a FRESH AIR INTAKE  for enging cooling fan.
so 3/4 my day was spent modifieng the rear seats for 2 reasons. first too allow for the needed cooling pipe/vent work , as well as too allow them to fit between the cage for removal when its all assembled.
you can see the lower seat inner corners ar modified as well as its narrowed 3 inches.and the backrest is lowerd 1 inch and narrowed 3 inches as well.
this will make sence later on ,remember cool air!!!!!

hell chopped car =chopped seats front seats are heavely modified but function great .seat are going too GARRY next weekend too be recoverd.if anyone can handle a modified seat covering i know its him.
colour will be brick red basket weeve !!! well at least the interior has a colour.should look great.
now back too the interior vent work .you can see a few thing here.
first the modified seats fit and operate great.if its a street car and you have little ones in the family ,you need a operating rear seat assembley.
second the vent work comes from the heater inlet tubes on each side/under the rear seat cushion/ up behind the rear backrest and finnally too the rear fire wall ,where it will meet with a neet aluminum fresh air box for the motor.thats being made now and will fit between the rear roll cage tubes.it will have 2 -2 1/2 intakes and 1 - 4 inch outlet
now you understand the reason for the modified seats.  vent work needs to remain undamaged during normal operation as well as need too be barely noticable when done

will come back too this system later.but know you can see what i did on friday anyway.
here is the super spy shot of the futre RAM AIR vent system.holes on top are intakes and lowers are air out. this is going too be cool .i'm really excited about this .more too come but this will keep you thinking.remember RAM AIR.
TATE cruised by on sunday and finnished a few cosmetic things off and ended up starting on the block sanding of the shell. this means paint is coming soon.man the shell is starting too look real smooth.when i took this shot this morning a could not believe its finnally getting there.the roof line is dead on .i'm overjoyed about the shape of the roof  .this chop turned out right!!
colour ?? better get around too picking one soon ,but it will have too match a brick red interior!!
so the never ending saga continues .hopefully parts will show up so i can start reassembling the pan/trans/motor .if not back too the deck lid and frt hood.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:15:09 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Hansk

Jim Martin
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2004, 10:49:33 PM »
OKAY  !!  I've got to see and hear more about this air system. Can't wait.
Big fat black fastback

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Jim Martin
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2004, 10:24:01 AM »

Jim, here is my deck lid with the factory louvers. This makes a big difference when you have the 911 fan, it allows all the fresh air to be drawn in. Keep up the good work, im sure you'll have it at the track in no time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 10:31:56 AM by Gkafer »

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2004, 08:38:05 PM »
ah yes the track . sooner than later i hope. plan is to unvail at vw show in coquitlam again.it was a great first ride last year ,hopefully it will work for me this year. but i can't rush at this stage .looks like geoff and myself are on the same track .cool air is the way too go .that decklid set-up geoff uses is fantastic ,i love it cause its hidden. i'll have to go 911 next motor !!! 84 /101.6 :D  

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2004, 08:10:01 PM »
well got alot done but not alot of update pictures.basicaly anything that is on the pan is 100% tight and ready too roll.frt end was completely pulled apart and gone over,i'm pleased it worked so well last year and needs no repair.also i was able too remount trans and spring plates but will cover that next week.pictures i took turned out terrible so i will scrape them today.or will readd later
here is the only one that i saved early in the day and you can see frt end is together ,and i am working my way too the rear.after next friday i should have the pan on the ground and waiting for motor and shell as well as wiring.

as promissed a took abunch of photos of the frt suspension.  i will  move them too the chassis & suspension forum under the technical heading too start a knowledge thread on suspension geometry
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:21:31 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »
i havent been that pissed in a long time but friday killed me .nothing worse than trying to put something  together only too find out it doesn't go no matter what you do.what i'm talking about was my spring plate retainers .since you are dealing with a lot of load and tension.repeat re & re is tough and trying on the patience ,but in the end it all came together.thank god the beer fridge is close by
here was stage #1 modifie plate retainers too allow for grease fitting and a internal groove.no sweat

after a lot of sweat see above i made up some spacer brackets too shim out the plate.
now i'm getting somewhere finally.thats the rear suspension set up with the solid plate/adjustable spring plates and my safety strap & suspension limiter combo.                                                                                                          
.      rear suspension sits at 1/2 deg max positive camber.im not sure if i will use those large bus buffers ,i  have a ride height sensor that will hook into my LM1 for data input on squat .but thats a whole ways down the road.
contact rear wheel touches down once again.finally      

since this is a street car first and a strip car second drivability is up there this is the trans mount set up i'm using.its a combo of berg frt /bugpack rear /bugpack urethane mounts and strap kit.

from above you can see all the buisness.newly installed /welded front paded strap.last year i could reall feel the nose lift .this should help.as well as for racing those 2 big rubber mounts get replaced with aluminum blocks !!
ITS A ROLLER!!now just need a motor and body.just have a issue with left frt wheel bearing and gearbox oil.and its done

master body man TATE stopped in on saturday and his main battle was finnish block sanding the roof and give it the finally prime.

check out the roof rain gutter seam and the line on the inner roof.SWEET!!

its always interesting too watch a body man do his magic they make it look so easy ,SILAS stopped in too take in half the day,the more the merrier ,finnally TATE stopped spraying and was happy so a few beers went down .its getting closer every weekend.

next friday i have too finnish fitting that hood as tate wants too nail all the quarters and start on either doors or fenders and hood.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:27:38 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp