Author Topic: 66 Turbo Beetle-Not 56k friendly  (Read 21027 times)

32vsnake

Re: 66 Turbo Beetle-Not 56k friendly
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
So the car is just about done....just the front windows and door panels to finish up...

Got the car insured and took it to KMS late fiday night show for it's maiden voyage...on the way out it was smooth easy sailing, car had no problem loping along with traffic.

Not so much when I left KMS, pulled out into traffic, gave it a little gas in 1st...shifted into second...some throttle and apparently hit some boost....damn car tried to kill me   wee_hee   fish tailed both directions and finally straightened out a little way down the road

This thing is way punchy....far more violent than my last NA 2.3...she's a keeper ;D

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
 PDT_Armataz_01_37
Kootenay Volkswagen Society

32vsnake

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Took the car out tonight and had my 8 year old do some video taping....at about the .25sec mark the car stopped accelerating as it was fighting for traction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEcO6r_JPI

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
Once again,  PDT_Armataz_01_37!
Kootenay Volkswagen Society

32vsnake

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »
Like he said.  PDT_Armataz_01_37
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 07:59:33 AM »
Sweeeet! will you be bringing it to the GCVWS?

32vsnake

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

doubt it.... Vancouver scares me...my in laws live over there

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure the show is in Coquitlam not Vancouver.
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

32vsnake

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure the show is in Coquitlam not Vancouver.

That's even worse..they live in belcarra  lol_hitting

Offline Mirko

• dude, where's my car?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »

You really gotta pump those Island people up... you know, to leave the Island.. :D

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Offline josh

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
You really gotta pump those Island people up... you know, to leave the Island.. :D

I gots no issues as long as I don't have to stay for long ;D
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

32vsnake

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »

Apparently Vancouver scares me and my CAR.....
I had an o-ring start leaking on my canton oil filter last week...so I bought a $5 quickie Fram until I re-did the o-rings on the canton

Well......
....I fixed my oiling issue....simply install a fram filter and as it unscrews itself going down the road...tada! no oiling issues...of course having the engine seize might be a slight downer

And to top it off...while I hooked the car up to my truck to tow it home....my wife "driving" the beetle might have forgotten to release the parking brake...if you ever wonder why you see smoke coming from a car being towed...good chance the park brake might still be applied....

Ugly night....crank seems welded to the case...so it looks like a good time to upgrade to a 2332 and rear disks

Good news the car was running awesome...before it pulled a BP

I didn't really needed this...  :'(

Offline josh

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
mutherfacker thats sucks big time man!!!!!!!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
...so I bought a $5 quickie Fram ...
There's your problem.

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. But for what its worth, it still looks better now compared to the last ass-hat that owned it. ;)

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
That is a sweet Re-do... poor car deserved another chance.... 8)
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

32vsnake

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »
That is a sweet Re-do... poor car deserved another chance.... 8)

perhaps...so far I'm not having much luck with the car...however...it will get another chance, again.

Went with a 5.5 h-beam rod and an 82mm crank....waiting for the new case to show up and the rear disks arrived last night...hope to get them done in the next couple of days.
Once all the reciprocating stuff shows up it's off to get balanced and then I can start rebuilding the damn engine....again.

Also looking at the brothers 1 5/8 ceramic turbo header...anybody with experience using the brothers header?

Billyisgr8

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »

Also looking at the brothers 1 5/8 ceramic turbo header...anybody with experience using the brothers header?

I have one on my car.  It is made for a stock width engine.  You may be able to tweak it with a 5.5 rod and make it fit, flanges probably will be off and will need aligning.  I had to cut and re-weld to get mine to fit with a 5.6 rod and 82 stroke.  I'm pretty sure that everyone that has this type of header has them made for a stock width.  Unless you want to wait for a custom one to be made.  Ask Renato at Brothers if they do wider engine widths in this header.

Kevin

32vsnake

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »

I have one on my car.  It is made for a stock width engine.  You may be able to tweak it with a 5.5 rod and make it fit, flanges probably will be off and will need aligning.  I had to cut and re-weld to get mine to fit with a 5.6 rod and 82 stroke.  I'm pretty sure that everyone that has this type of header has them made for a stock width.  Unless you want to wait for a custom one to be made.  Ask Renato at Brothers if they do wider engine widths in this header.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply...I talked to brothers a couple of days ago and he wanted to know the engine width as apparently they have different widths in stock. The current header I have doesn't clear the alternator pulley when you try and take the fan belt off, so I'd like to replace it.
I was assured by brothers that there header would allow the fan belt to be changed without removing the header.
How is the quality of the header and did you get the ceramic coated one or plain steel?

Thanks

Billyisgr8

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
I bought the plain steel one cause I do not have a show car or lots of money to burn, and painted it with high heat paint which after 3 years looks like it needs another painting for sure, I kind of like the worn look though so probably will never re-paint it.  Lots of room for removing the fan belt. As for the high heat paint holding up well, it doesn't last forever.  My engine has seen over 300 passes at the track and probably 200 kms on the street to get icecream , and testing. Practicaly every time I go racing I drive through a rain storm somewhere so it sees rain too.  High heat paint needs maintenance and doesn't look as pretty as ceramic after a few years.  You can see in my picture below.

Kevin

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:21:19 PM by Billyisgr8 »

32vsnake

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 06:56:21 AM »
minor updates....

still looks pretty good...

Of course it hasn't moved in a couple of months....

And the monstrosity that hopefully keeps my neighbors of my back.....

Some progress on the new aluminum case

The latest clutch that I plan to try....ACE Copperhead...

Had to wait on parts in order to get everything rebalanced ....The new 2275 is now partially assembled...case is sealed and it's ready for the pistons...looks like I have a slightly positive deck to take care of and one slight issue,  I ordered the wrong piston rings when I placed my order for new parts a couple of months ago....so new rings should hopefully be here sometime next week.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:08:11 AM by 32vsnake »

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
l
Liking your thread. Thanks for the update.  PDT_Armataz_01_37
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

32vsnake

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
I bought the plain steel one cause I do not have a show car or lots of money to burn, and painted it with high heat paint which after 3 years looks like it needs another painting for sure, I kind of like the worn look though so probably will never re-paint it.  Lots of room for removing the fan belt. As for the high heat paint holding up well, it doesn't last forever.  My engine has seen over 300 passes at the track and probably 200 kms on the street to get icecream , and testing. Practicaly every time I go racing I drive through a rain storm somewhere so it sees rain too.  High heat paint needs maintenance and doesn't look as pretty as ceramic after a few years.  You can see in my picture below.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Ordered a raw steel T4 header this morning, should ship on Monday. I ordered the raw steel since I will be welding a tab onto the header to help support the muffler, I would like to have gotten the ceramic for appearance...but hey it's not a show car either.
Finally got the short block together last night so that I could get the measurements that Brothers wanted. Looks like I'm about an inch wider across than the last engine, so I need to readjust some of my fittings.

32vsnake

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »
Rocker geometry got done the other night...took 3 shims to get the rocker arm at 90 and half lift (257.5) and total lift of 0.515
My cut to length manton pushrods are too short for this engine so I've ordered a new set...good news is that they won't need to be cut this time around

Well...it doesn't look like much...but it's progress. Just waiting on my header and push rods,then I'll finally be able to get this thing back into the car

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Bigger motor! Bigger carb?

32vsnake

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »
Bigger motor! Bigger carb?

It's been on my mind...but I can't seem to figure out what direction to go DCOE 45/48 or Holley 4 barrel

And on other fronts..the header is in transit and the push rods are on backorder for a month

Billyisgr8

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
Here is my opinion

Personally go holley 4 barrel, I drive my car on the street, and I can hardly wait to change out my dellorto.  It is jetted so rich for the turbo, it creates problems elsewhere...like  high cruising egt, unless you change the jetting for street driving, and track use.  You can have the 4 barrell secondary come on only when on boost, so you can jet the front barrels for street driving.  Inlet needle and seat is larger on a holley, no worry of running a bowl dry, you don't need to boost referance a regulator, just run it straight off a 7psi fuel pump.  A 4 barrel is harder to get under a decklid, need bigger standoffs.  If my car was  strictly race car, which it kind of looks that way but isn't, I would keep my dellorto on with the 38mm vents.  I want better drivability than what it is right now.

I am either going holley 600, or FI for next year.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:16:50 PM by Billyisgr8 »

32vsnake

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »
Well, the header arrived and with a little heat and hammer it's on. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stay with a side draft carb...just not sure what size to step up to 45/48 or 50?

Rolled the car out into the driveway to turn it around in the garage and thought I'd take some pics
New push rods showed up...but now I can't find the old lifter that I used for assembly

It's been awhile since the car moved

32vsnake

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
dead thread revival....

So I got annoyed with the car and let it sit for over a year. Briefly considered selling it for cheap, just to get rid of it, but when push came to shove I couldn't pull the trigger.
I've decided to keep the car and spend some time finishing it up. I'm actually pretty excited to get it back on the road...just need to find the time

Got some work done today...amazing
last rear brake line installed, still need to bleed the brakes
The down pipe is in, with the the new 1 5/8 header nothing fits in the engine compartment so the muffler bit the dust

Trimmed the rear apron to fit over the new header and down pipe

the amount of dust this thing has collected is kind of ugly
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:11:37 PM by 32vsnake »