Author Topic: 1931 Ford  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
1931 Ford
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Ok here are a few shots, the first is the chassis as it was being built.
Started out with two lengths of 2x3 tubing. A 1/1 blueprint was drawn up of the frame profile so each rail could be made to that template.

Once the wheel base was decided on it was time to figure out how much of a kick (or raise ) the front and rear rails would get. The front ended up with a 3" and the rear 16" (16 is max when you go with a 4" channel.  (just in case you try this)

The lightning holes are a bitch but they look cool!

Next is the rear, Ford diff, So Cal hairpins, coils and pan hard....and more holes!

Motor test fit, once in all three carbs will sit at the same height as the center one.

Next it was time to start the chaneling, It ended up 3 3/4, here i'm using the plasma to cut the inner brace thats keeping it from resting on the frame.

With the frame now up inside the body a new sub frame for the floor needed to be made.

50 Merc dash, narrowed to fit the small model A body

This original body had been cut into a roadster at some point. We had to re fit all the roof sections and door tops to make it a sedan again before we cut it apart for the chop.

last the body after many days fitting the stock roof back on and setting the door jams....then a 5" chop.

Here the tires are test fit, in the back ground you can see the project 57 Ford Truck

Test fitting the headlights, new custom made front frame horns with more holes!

Seting ride height.

At some time in it's life I think a tree fell on the roof and thats why it was made into a roadster. A lot of work went into re shaping the roof and adding a new lip around the opening.

The frame all stripped apart for body work and paint.

Big jump! I'll post a few pi's of the floor build but this is the finished floor. The owner is 6-3' so it was a very tight fit. A lot was done to make him fit comfortable. These are very small cars with way less room than a beetle.

*Note* Tunnel has cut out for foot and pedal linkage, also small pocket for feet..it's only 1" but it was needed.

The rear of the floor, small storage space and behind the other panel is the battery.

Test fitting the new fuel tank and trunk prop.

The wheels for this build are original 1935 Ford Wires. These were blasted then powder coated gloss black by Russ at Francis Andrew Site Furnishings.

Next are the brakes. Many choose to go with 40 Juice brakes (orig hyd ford drum brakes) for the traditional look. For this car we wanted disc brakes as it will be driven daily in the summer. These are Wilwood disc's hidden inside original style Buick 45 fin drums.

Money well spent!

The dash after a fresh coat of paint!

Chrome!

Chassis in black gloss!

More to come!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:07:24 PM by Geoff »

Offline Brassmonkey

1931 Ford
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
Now thats what I'm talking about freaking sweet!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:  

Offline johnny main

1931 Ford
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
that thing is so bad ass! how many weeks goes into a build like that?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
1931 Ford
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
More like months, This is a very condensed version of what was done. Just wanted to give an idea of what we have been upto. This was built over 6 months.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
1931 Ford
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
That is some sweet stuff there Geoff, You and your Bro make a great team

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
1931 Ford
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
awesome!!!! i love it. great work geoff & laurie!!!

my personal faves are the wilwood discs hidden behind the big 'ol finned drums & the dash!!!

"canada custom & hot rods recent work" is my new favourite forum!!!