Author Topic: Back fire question  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Back fire question
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
Well I have a 1600 single port...I put new gaskets heads pistons.. I have driven it about 1000 km. the valves are set at .006 when I tore the engine apart   She runs great when I drive but after I park it there is a 3 sec delay and the she gives a good backfire...I have it idled low no stalls.  Not sure if it is the fuel pump with too much pressure.  Anybody.   Bus daddy
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Back fire question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Oh boy!, interesting.....
Off hand the only thing that comes to mind is a crazy rich mixture causing carbon buildup that's still glowing after you shut it off and it takes 3 seconds for enough oxygen to make it's way up the tail pipe and reach the right mixture with the remaining unburnt gas for an explosion, how black are your plugs?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
There not bad.  So today I timed it again put my rich mixture to 2 turns and opened my air a couple turns.  My timing was out about 4mm (does that mean I have to reset my valves)  I ripped it up and down the road and then came back and parked it and no back fire.  Still my eyes burn when I'm too close to the engine compartment.  Hopefully it's ok that potent

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
(does that mean I have to reset my valves)
If you mean points you should check the dwell, many new points seem to wear fast or break the rubbing block. As for the stink that can't be good, how are you setting the timing?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »
Timing is set 9 degrees before tdc.  It doesn't stink.  It just burns the eyes from being rich I think