Author Topic: its a tight one  (Read 2029 times)

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
its a tight one
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »
ok so, this weekend i went to put the axles on the car bolted up using say 5 thick gaskets at the trans side, installed all the spaces correctly then the rear breaks and wham everything seizes up, loosen the break housing off and everything loosens up any ideas? its a 61 car 61 trans everything is og, we checked axles and the machined surface that the inner spacer sits on then bearing was shorter then the other one that axle went in fine, but this other axle no dice tried it on both sides still everything tightens up, now whats funnier is that used another axle from a 66 and same damn thing, what am i doing wrong?

on a side note ima gonna swap out these axles for a long spline late 60's axle cause using short axles my rear wheels are tucked far to much for my likin, and due to the fact that my short axles are not workin correct spacers will be pointless, sooo question i wanna run past ya does this sound like an inernal issue due to the fact it happens with two totally different axles i dunno! hope i was clear enough for some help ask away, perhaps this is to soon, ima gonna get some long axles later this week so maybe ill need to delete this then but til then let me know your thoughts on this problem!

thanks
 :cool:
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Hansk

Re: its a tight one
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »
Split case trans ?   what exactly was shorter than the other?    What seizes up ...drum wont turn  or axle tube wont move?
Big fat black fastback

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »
its a 61 first year for full syncro box, ok so you got your threads for your wheel nut, then it turns into the splines then just a little bit after the splines stop there is a machined lip when both axles were placed side by side that machined lip was shorter on the good workin axle only about 1/8 of an inch but enough to not have this issue, i will loose any kind of movement of the whole axle assembly i as well as the axle turning but i can get the axle itself to turn if i put it all together and tighten the wheel nut on, but even then it turns but its still a good force to turn
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Hansk

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
Kind off sounds to me like the little spacer behind the axle bearing(aprox 1/8th of an inch) .  I'm thinking your "good" axle had it maybe stuck in place and your "bad" axle is missing it. That lip on the axle is tapered or chamfered and the spacer has a matching  chamfer one side inside and flat on the out side for the bearing sit up to.  On the axle you should have , small spacer - bearing - seal plate/o ring - large spacer - drum - axle nut - cotter pin. Hope that helps
Big fat black fastback