Author Topic: wich transaxle to use 002 or 091  (Read 2503 times)

Offline stu817

wich transaxle to use 002 or 091
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:56:58 AM »
I have looked for information on this subject and am a little confused so I thought I woud ask for opinions.
I have a manx clone it is set up as an off road car but is insured and only driven on the road.
I built this car because it was hard to find time to use my sand rail now I can just jump in this and drive
the plan was to build it on a 1974 beetle platform so parts woud be easy to get and not have to remember what that part came out of it is stock wheel base, 1600 irs trans (freeway flyer) 30 inch rear tire and I streched the body to fit four seats  
so onto my delema I finished the car a year ago and drove it all summer this way.It felt slow and under powered hard to get going and when doing 80 kph it is at an idle so I put togeather a 1776 it helped but the few times I drove it after the new power the clutch seemed to slip a little.I knew this was going to hapen it was the stock clutch from the doner 74 so i bought a 1700 lb kennedy kit.
I have decided that it is time to also fix the gearing for the bigger tires so I do have a six rib 091 trans and can get a three rib 002 . I do have a mount kit for this swap and have done this in all my off road cars with the 3rib and was not that hard,change the mounts add bus cv drop the shifter shaft and I just ran the bug axels done
The three rib was good for the dirt but this car sees only road and down the freeway so would the six rib be a better choice for this dew to a little higher gearing
I liked the fact the rail would wheeley with the three rib but the info on the net said that I would only get 55 mph with the 30 inch tires is this true and I know the six rib will be a little more work but if the gears are better than it is worth it any info you have on this would help
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:54:51 PM by stu817 »

Offline stu817

Re: wich transaxle to use
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
so I did some searching on the net and this is what i came up with

type of trans                    rpm             tire size           ring pin              4th           mph            kph

bug trans orig.74              3500                   29              3.875              .93             83.83           134.90
3 rib                                                                        5.429              .82             67.86           102.21
6 rib                                                                        4.57                .88             75.12           120.89

all of this is based on 29 inch tire at a recomended 3500 rpm range of a 1600 dp for sustained freeway speeds
if this sounds correct let me know
with this info I think the six rib is the one I will use it is stronger and will be good If I ever build a monster moter in the future and I will noy have to do it again
I did pick up a three rib last niteNow I am going to measure the 3 rib and the 6 rib to see what the differance is I do know thatif I use the six rib I will change the bell housing to the three rib.I will post the dementios on here for others to referance 

Offline stu817

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »
well I had time to mesure the three transaxels  the only differance between the six and the three is that the six bellhouse is 1/4 " longer and the main shaft is 1/2 " longer than the three. So I will use the bell and shaft from the three so I can use the beetle starter and it will not move the engine back and cause a clearance prob with body or cage

now for the differance between the beetle irs trans and the three rib

the three rib is longer but using the shift tube drop adapter and the bus into bug bugpack adapter with the bettle rear mount it will all bolt in all solid mounted.
on the three rib the cv flange are aprox 3/4" fwd and 1/2" wider than the bettle trans because of this the bug axels will work with bug outside and bus inside cv will have to be machined  for the clip ring if I use it.On the rail that clip went in the garbage and I never had a problem.

now for the most important part the bellhouse and input shaft are offset on the bus transaxel aprox 3/8" to the right so make shure that it is centered useing the shifter shaft and the cv flanges not the input shaft so the bug axels will work because they are the same length.This will offset the engine but is not a problem for my build I dont know how this would affect a beetle

So I think I have it all worked out but if anyone wants to add to this feel free. I believewe learn from our experiances and knowlege is king so pls add to this and I will keep you posted on my experience

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
you really dont need to post in both threads, the ask dvkk forum can be seen by all, but if your soliciting answers from everyone then post it in the one forum, if you want to specifically ask dvkk you should post only there, even though those lazy asses have no idea whats going on around here..... j/k

Offline stu817

Re: wich transaxle to use 002 or 091
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
Today I had a chance to dry fit the trans 091 and as i thought it is tight to the body because of the back seat so I will have to cut the body so it fits the other issue is it is tight to the clutch tube and blocks the throttle tube compleatly so I will have to move at least the throttle
with the mount kit the trans is off by 1/8 "engine end only so i will clearance the horn holes to center the cv flange
I did change the bell and main shaft today too
all in all I think it went ok. I should be able to finish fitting it tomorow

I almost forgot this car is built on a 74 pan with a modified pan using the stock horns and tunel
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:32:37 PM by stu817 »