Author Topic: Long Distance Bus  (Read 5693 times)

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2004, 02:42:36 AM »
THANK's Cam for the info on the rails I'd like to find some better pictures of them sometime.A couple of vw trends ago there was a fellow who made a nice looking vw powered slingshot style dragster, totally cool. I thought Cory Dole had a dragster frame kicking around for a while that he was going to build . Is sibley local or from out of town . I won't overload you also . Talk to you soon  

Offline Cameron

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2004, 11:06:02 AM »
I don't know who owned Berg's Little but Quick at that time. I'll fire off an email, and find out. I did not pay much attention to it back then, so I don't know what times it was turning. The chop top bug has been around for years too. I think it's still around, I can't remember the name of the present owner (from North Van), but he used to go out to Mission Raceway every once in a while. Jim Sibley is from Bellingham Wa. He has run a VW repair shop in Bellingham for years. Still in business, but they now work on all German cars. I ran into Corey Doell and Shawn (Graf?) at the border, a couple of summers ago. They were buying a VW van for Shawn. He seems to very busy with domestic cars now, and not much time for the VW racing thing. Of course, things may have changed since then. Does anybody know if Corey has email? Is he still interested in VWs?
Cameron
p.s. I have more photos from the past. Will eventually post in the \"Members Photos\" section, but I have to around to scanning them first.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2004, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks Cam did you find the site my friend made for me with my pictures. Can't wait to see more old photos. Wonder if mission raceway has old photos accesable to the public, might be some nice close -ups of some of the older vw's .
talk yo you later  

Offline Hansk

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2004, 10:14:45 PM »
Thanks Cam!  BTW  it's definitely NOT Shawn ( Graff) That's old history.
Corey is very busy with his business but told me last summer that he
allmost bought a glass buggy once but generally hate's car's, ...... :huh:  whatever.
Big fat black fastback

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2004, 02:44:41 AM »
Hey hans ,Cory will come around eventualy, we all do some just take a longer break than others. Tell me where abouts are you on your single cab. Do you remember I almost tried to buy it but I think Carmen PERSUEDED me that it wasn't a good time . I'm very fortunate though she loves the bus and would never let me part with it. she has accepted the vw in the drive way always mantra. What does your wife think about your vw fixation. If you have photos of the pickup try and get them posted I would like to see them
Later  OUTKAST

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2004, 07:32:09 PM »
Hey Outkast,

Eventually could be a very long time.....
I bought my Ghia from Cory in 1983. I sensed he was already getting fed up with VW's at that time, so I'd say it's been 20 years
since he \"let go\". People's priorities change over time and as they get older. Some things are also just fads or stages in ones life.
It's really hard to say if he's going to \"break\".

I just remember Cory towing the black Ghia vert from Surrey to North Van behind his little Suzuki Samurai, and the Ghia pushing
the back end of the Samurai out in the corners.... He seemed happy to get rid of the Ghia back then already.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2004, 07:14:40 PM »
You never know scratchy. Do you have any pictures of your ghia,I'd like to see them .

Offline Shashimo

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2004, 06:16:17 PM »
Hey Marty,
Last I heard Frank Graf works for ICBC and Garry works in the warehouse for California Imports
Mike Gordon-who knows??
Shawn

Offline Shashimo

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
Also,
Cory has a shop in Port.Kells, I can't remember the name of it now.
Shawn

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Long Distance Bus
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2004, 10:11:08 PM »
You never know scratchy. Do you have any pictures of your ghia,I'd like to see them .
Here's about the only one I have that's been printed.

The rest are still just negatives, as I gave away the prints to \"Bondo Billy\", the guy that did a lot of the rustoration
work on the Ghia. It was so bad, the front and rear sections just fell apart when I removed the floorpan.
The doorsill/heater channels where totally shot on both sides. I just threw the 3 pieces in a trailer and hauled it down
to Redi-strip metals where they stripped and then phosphated the pan, front and back. The floor pan was like cheese cloth
once they were done with it. I ended up buying some epoxy from Industrial Formulators and fiberglassing the 2 pan halves
with it. So far it seems to have held together. Nowadays I would just buy replacement pan halves, but nodody made them
back in those days.

The other beetles are (from left to right) 66, 69 - turning into my baja, 70 street bug.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline OUTKAST

Long Distance Bus
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2004, 02:48:29 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics , garage looks full enough. It may not be done yet ut the main thing is you still have it. The stuff is getting harder to find and more $$$ when you do find something. I was thinking we should pick a meeting spot at great canadian say 12:00 for the old thunderbug members to meet so we can put some faces with names . I'm going to try and make it,I still have a club jacket some where, doesn't fit to well. talk to you later