Author Topic: My '66 beetle story.  (Read 5255 times)

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
My '66 beetle story.
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »
This is my first foray into the aircooled world and I'am hooked. It all started in '11 while chatting with my friend(Rich D) who has been a diehard for 20+yrs saying I should build a beetle rather than the Japanese cars I had tinkered with.

While searching the 'net I came upon an add with no pictures pertaining to a '66 bug for sale. The car was located in a town(Kamloops) that was 5hrs from my area. I emailed the seller and he told me he would send some pics and that the car was sitting for the last 10yrs and was all original. "All original" piqued my interest so when I received the pics I forwarded to my friend(mentioned earlier). Rich D. replied saying the bug looked very clean in the pics and that he would be up in Kamloops for the weekend for his father inlaws surprise 70th B-day party. I made arrangement for my him to view the car on the following Saturday morning.

Fast forward to Saturday morning and I get a text from my friend viewing the car "call me in 5min." I called him back and he says "if you do not purchase this car, I will". I ask why? is it that good? "the car is all original, zero rust, it looks like OG paint, OG Blue/white rims, OG fabric seat covers BUT the owner removed the front covers and replaced with vinyl style" he replied.

So a deal was struck and I went the following weekend to pick it up. Like I said the car sat for ten yrs the seller(2nd owner) had the car so the car needed a going over to make it road worthy. Once we had it back to the shop we gave the car a thorough inspection. Everything on the car is original and the only things that are not are: tires, battery, front seat covers, RF headlight cover, fuel pump, rebuilt VW starter, windshield wiper blades and muffler(seller just installed). We overhauled the whole brake system from master cylinder-linings, rebuilt/refurbished the fuel pump and carb and gave it a quick tune-up. I put a driving permit on it and went to the Great Canadian VW Show the following week.

The car has 45K original miles and actually was purchased from a local car dealership to me called Speedway Motors in Victoria, BC which is about 100km away and a 1.5hr ferry ride. I have the original dealer pamphlet holder, license plate frame etc. What saved the car is the amount of undercoating that was applied to the underside, wheel well etc. Usually I frown upon undercoating but it saved this car. Speedway Motors(VW & Porsche dealer) had a rep for the amount of undercoating they used and they also undercoated under the rear decklid? noise suppression? I do not know but one of my friend's '65 Beetle was also a Speedway car and its decklid was also sprayed.

Last summer the car was put in the corner of our shop so we could start taking it apart refurbishing/modding it. After spending countless hours cruising the Samba and various other sites I decided where I wanted to go with this car. My goal was to upgrade the suspension/brakes to todays style and safety and add period(late 60's early 70's) correct mods. I researched and found a suspension builder located in the Pacific Northwest called Franklin's VW. I contacted Franklin himself and we discussed the stance I wanted and we worked out a build plan. We went with a 4'' narrowed beam(custom) w/shock mounts, 3'' drop rear swingarms, CB Roto-hub 4 wheel disc brake kit, shocks etc.

These parts we're going to take awhile to build so I spent more time looking for the right wheels. My first set of wheels we're original Empi Sprintstars 4.5/5.5 that we're in excellent condition but deep down I wanted Fuchs 4.5''/ 6" deepsix. For fun I posted the Sprintstars for sale on the The Samba to see if I could get any bites so I could fund a set of Fuchs. A month later I receive a private message regarding the Sprintstars from a fellow in France and we struck a deal. As the Sprintstars we're on their journey to France I found a set of restored(Al Read) Fuchs 4.5/deep 6 with hearts on early911.com. We made a deal and the Fuchs we're on their journey north.
I have also found other bits and pieces, original Berg shifter, Bosch Dist and Santana pulley(on roadtrip to Sacramento Bugorama w/ Rich, Geoff and Bruce).

Thanks to Rich D. for the help so far, Geoff for the pulley, exhaust etc. Mike N. and all of the other VW enthusiests that have helped me along the way.

Here are some pics of what I started with and the progression we have made so far:

front before-

rear before-

front after

rear after

removing undercoating- we used keyboard cleaner aerosol airspray, hold it upside down and you get an excellent undercoating removal tool. CO2 propellant comes out very cold. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

detailed the tailights and turn signals

Interior pics

more pics here:

http://s250.beta.photobucket.com/user/jasontrentini/library/#/user/jasontrentini/library/VW%20Beetle?&_suid=13582752476460410652130937364

Here is how it sits today:

bolted up right side fenders/running board to see if the rideheight was correct.

It is now Feb 2013 and I can say I haven't rushed this project but it sure is exciting to see it finally on it wheels.

During the process of restoring/resto-modding this car I had all the new suspension and steering powder coated. New balljoints were installed into factory control arms. I was able to save all of the original Kamax, Dorn and Verbus hardware in which I had cleaned and silver anodized plated.

I will update the future progress on this build and sorry if the story was long winded but I'm very excited about this project.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:58:23 PM by DalesAlignment »
"I don't want to hear it
All you do is talk about you
I don't want to hear it
'Cause I know that none of it's true
I don't want to hear it
Sick and tired of all your lies
I don't want to hear it
When are you gonna realize...
THAT I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT
KNOW THAT YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT"

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: My '66 beetle story.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Lookin great Big Block!!!
The wheels look perfect on that color and stance.

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »

Agreed!  Looks great!

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
I love a story with a happy ending! Looks great, can't wait to see it.
brian waz

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »
I love a story with a happy ending! Looks great, can't wait to see it.

That's one more thing you love with a " happy ending"

Offline johnny main

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
had a chance to swing in for a alignment at dales auto and check out this car in person, so cool to see people preserving these cars properly, cant wait to see this car rolling down the road, what a nice coorect ride

congrats

Offline T-Dot

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
Love the wheels. Looking forward to seeing this car.
Tony

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »

thx Geoff,

I will be adding H&R Trak+ rear wheel spacers(15mm) to get rid of the super tuck in the back. In the picture it doesn't look bad but the wheels have to come out a bit more.

Thx  for the words John M.
"I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline rolls and pleats

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
Great original car that Jay said drove like new whilst stock. I don't think you will find a "local" car cleaner than this. A real jem an glad to see that it is staying local!!!!!!

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Great original car that Jay said drove like new whilst stock. I don't think you will find a "local" car cleaner than this. A real jem an glad to see that it is staying local!!!!!!

I thought you we're going to bust my ballz for posting;))
"I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
that thing is even better than a jewel. wow, congrats an an awesome find!
the customer is always wrong

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
Detailed the bumpers. Should I paint the backside of the bumpers and powder coat the brackets? Hmmmm. They are pretty clean and original paint is only a one time thing.

Went crazy and started removing undercoating from the pan etc. 30+hrs and 24cans of Geoff's undercoating removal crap and I'm 95% finished, now just more detailing.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:59:02 PM by DalesAlignment »
"I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
Since the pic of the bumper, I took them apart and used CLR to remove more of the rust and buffed the chrome. They are 45% better than the og picture.
"I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline Lunchbox

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
I love the car color combination with those Fuch wheels! when will we see it on the road?
Mike - 1980 VW RABBIT 1.8T Restoration

Offline 1blk66

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
The car looks great!! What a find and perfect stance in my opinion. Just what I'm looking for with my 66. I'll have to stop by the shop for sure to check it out in person.

Offline buggy1

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »
Have you ever tried aluminum foil for removing the rust? Works like a dream.
The car looks great!
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline DalesAlignment

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:54 AM »
oops
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:07:57 PM by DalesAlignment »
"I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it
I don't want to hear it

Poet- Ian Mackaye

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
jay, great to meet you during the gcvws weekend and see your car out & about! it's a beauty...a nicely preserved original with some custom additions...great work!!

ps...your photobucket pic links are inop...hopefully you can post up some more recent pics so we can all enjoy the finished product!!