Author Topic: April 28 2005  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
April 28 2005
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:42 AM »
Now that I'm back onto the bus I have been working  to do as much as I can.

Some nights go better than others, This week I had a few productive nights.
I started off trying to make the clutch cable work. Turns out I was able to use a stock 1968-70 Bus clutch cable with a few mods. I shortened the threaded end to get it closer to the length I needed. Then using the eyelet side of a E-brake cable (the part that attaches to the lever inside the drum) I cut it off, welded on a tube and drilled and tapped it so it could thread onto the clutch cable. With that done I moved onto making a Bowden tube (the flexable sleeve for the cable) This was a lot of work, turns out I had to make it adjustable so the cable could be adjusted via the tube.

With that done I moved onto the exhaust. This was a lot of work, not so much the making of the exhaust but the finding of a muffler that would work in the small space I had. I went thru 6-7 different combos and Ideas before I came up with the one I built.

I used a new style Flowmaster hidden behind the rear bumper, It took a lot to get it to fit right but once it was in you couldn't tell it was there. Nothing on the exhaust is lower than the engine so there is lots of ground clearance.

Here is the header portion once I had kinda figured out how it needed to fit.

This shot is with it all sitting in place, here you can see the new Hushpower Flowmaster (looks like a cat converter)

Top View..

This tailpipe is just for test fitting, the new one will be stainless.

And with the bumper in place you can see how tight everything fits to the body.

Over the next few days I hope to finish welding the exhaust, bumper mounts,splash pans and pull the motor so I can paint and detail the eng bay. :wacko: