Author Topic: Transmission Questions  (Read 2522 times)

vwjohn53

Transmission Questions
« on: January 21, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »
please help....... see my QUESTIONS on the GENERAL FORUM. thanks, i fyou can help........ john

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Transmission Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:15:18 PM »
just replied to it.

Offline Bruce

Transmission Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 02:43:55 AM »
hi, can anybody help?  1st... what does a VW THING IRS TRANNY  look like, does it have a single side cover, is the rib pattern on the top of the tranny different than a stock IRS bug tranny. can you tell me what to look for? what is the gear ratios compared to the bug or ghia?................ also......... what years are the single side cover bug trannys and what are the gear ratios?..  also can you tell which bug tranny has the 3:88 gear in it, what is the year and is there any outside indication on the case to tell you what have?  john
A Thing trans looks exactly like a Bug trans of the same year.  The 73 Thing gearboxes may be double side cover (not sure), 74s will be SSC.  The rib configuration is the same as Bug.  The rib along the length in the middle took a zig-zag in early 75, since the Thing wasn't sold here then, none of the T181 g'boxes here have this case.
A Thing has a 4.12 R&P, 3.78/2.06/1.26/.89  The letter code is AV
A Bug has a   3.88 R&P, 3.78/2.06/1.26/.93   The letter code is AT
The letter code is found on the right side, forward of the diff, just below the part that has the VW logo with part number.  You have to look at it from under the frame horns and scrape away the gunk.  It is stamped into the case, not raised.