Author Topic: Ssc To Swingaxle  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Jeremy

Ssc To Swingaxle
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
About a year ago I bought a built up trans from a fella in Spanaway WA. Steel shift fork, early nose cone, Berg mainshaft, weddle gears, welded third and fourth, 4.37 R&P. It's a SSC IRS trans. The guy built a 2L motor and couldn't keep it running so the trans has got minimal miles on it. Now I've changed my mind and going to stick with a swing axle in the '59.  I realize the SSC case cannot be converted to a swing axle but will all the parts out of the IRS fit in a swing axle case? If I was to buy a rhino case could someone locally stuff all the parts in it? I figure the gear stacks wouldn't have to be disassembled but might need a new differential. Bruce?

Jeremy
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline Bruce

Ssc To Swingaxle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
If you got a 70 and later IRS DSC case, the guts from the SSC can be dropped into this case without disassembly.  IMO this is the best choice.

The Rhino case uses the early pinion bearing, so to use your SSC parts requires stripping the pinion shaft to change the pinion bearing.  The shaft for the reverse idler, the mainshaft needle bearing, and the clutch cross shaft from your SSC will not fit the Rhino case.  All these parts would need to be sourced.  (extra $)

I think Airspeed has some DSC IRS cores that would do the job.  Look for a guided TO bearing.  You will also need to get the swing axle parts.  Two Mg side covers, diff bearings, spider gears, side gears, spider gear shaft. fulcrum plates, axle tubes, axles, etc.