Author Topic: Synco Vac Operated Locker Trans?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

Synco Vac Operated Locker Trans?
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:48:28 PM »
I am gonna need to build a new tranny for the baja bug..my stock 002 wont last a week when i get this thing out and running.

Bruce..or anyone.. can you tell me what type of gear set / diff a syncro tranny uses? i assume its 091 style guts.

i know they are a side shift style tranny, but would it be possible to take a syncro tranny and some how swap out the side shifter gear with something from a nose shift 091?

i know that its possible to install a locker diff into a 091/002 case..but that requires some machine work..

anyone have a good hookup for a locker style syncro tranny for sale?

if i can get my hands on one i could make it work.
thanks
Cale

Offline Hansk

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »
The syncro tranny has an additional housing on the front with
all the reduction gears for the super low 1st gear and an out put shaft to the front diff.
 Is this what your after or is it just the locking diff?
 They are probably an extra 6\"-8\" longer than a normal vanagon trans.
I'd say it would be easier to convert your car to the side shifter
than to convert the tranny.
 I'm pretty sure the 091 and vanagon/syncro have the same first gear which
you should never ever break(unless your Chris from upm)

Does'nt someone make a locker type diff for bus tranny's?
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »
It would be so much simpler to install the Syncro diff into an 091 Bus trans.  There's only one thing to do, fab up a mechanism to slide the fork that locks the diff.  All you need to do is weld on a piece of Al round stock in the right place.  Then machine it to support the shift rod/fork.  It is up to you how you want to be able to engage it.  Vacuum, cable, solenoid.

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 10:42:29 AM »
Im not looking for a 4wheel drive setup, i am interested in the locking diff, word on the street is that there is a AutoTorqueBias diff on the market for the 091..thats another option.

What i am after is a strong tranny, with low gears, and some type of posi system..
i like the idea of the syncro diff..best of both worlds..altho i have no idea how strong it is..

the auto torque bias type diff would be great also, but no true posi, and no option for a steering brake..

so you guys figure i should get my hands on a 091 and convert it? any specific 091 code# i should be looking for?

anyone have any syncro diffs for sale?

thanks allot
Cale

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 12:13:05 PM »
Please don't tell me this \"AutoTorqueBias\" is called a Phantom Grip.  Got a link?

Geoff might know the code for the 091 you would want to use.

As I recall, the Syncro locker diff is a 4 spider cast iron diff.  I sold a diff plus the shift rod/fork last spring on eBay.  It went for $140.  The toughest thing is finding them.  The Syncro guys hoard all the parts they can get since VW has their head up their ass about supporting their products.

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 05:33:35 PM »
i have no idea what the diff is called..jim from airspeed rocking one..i had a look at the tranny today..nice...
i gotta ask bruce...where do you get your tranny hook up from?!? i dont want you to spill the beans...
but whats the extent of your hookup? if you can really get everything i should give you a call?
PM me your number if u like..i would like to talk 2 you for a few mins about all this..

thanks
Cale