Technical > Brakes Forum

Pulling the single circuit master cylinder from a 1967 Fastback

<< < (2/2)

Bruce:
At this point it would be advisable to take the whole MC apart and clean out the gunk.

kinggeorge13:
Yeah, I was wondering and worrying about that.   Putting it all back together and going through the whole process only to find my brakes are not working great because crap (or rubber bits) inside the master cylinder are blocking small passages would make me sad.   The rubber boot I received (yesterday) from CIP1 came with a bunch of rubber washers and a few parts so I'm assuming that's the replacement parts for inside (I missed that it all came together when I ordered the boot....I guess someone is trying to tell me something).   I will tackle that this coming week.

What's funny/crazy about all this?   The Fastback was on the road and having a blast when we then parked it inside the garage for the winter about 6 - 8 weeks ago.   Since then while it was just sitting there doing nothing, the main rubber 6" fuel hose from the gas tank to the main pipe started leaking like crazy (old rubber line, completely disintegrated) and all over my garage floor when we finally noticed it.  Fixed that with nice new hose and a week later the master cylinder rubber plug for the inlet line started to leak slowly but steadily making a new darker stain within the gas stain on my garage floor.   Now I'm into likely rebuilding the master cylinder. 

On the other hand, this time last year I didn't have a garage and was outside working under a giant tarp freezing my butt off.   I guess I should not complain.   

And yeah, should have known to replace that fuel hose already but when we bought the fastback, the lines had been already been replaced in the engine area so I dumbly assumed they'd all been done.  Yep..........except that minor one coming right out of the gas tank.   

Live and learn.

-George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version