Specialty Forums > Off-Road Forum

Advise on making a windshield frame or having one made

<< < (2/4) > >>

Max G:

--- Quote from: pittwagen on April 08, 2017, 10:48:09 AM ---So there is no way to separate the windshield from the roof and have it as a stand alone?  At some point they must have been separate.  If no,  I would recreate the windshield.  Probably easier than building a tube frame assembly and incorporating a windshield into that. 

How stable is that dash area such that it would be able to support a stand alone windshield?  It may need some work. Is a roll bar in the future?

--- End quote ---

I suppose it's possible to separate the windshield from the top, but I'd like to be able to have the possibility if running with the top at some point as well as a standalone shield.
I suppose I could recreate it in fiberglass, BC buggy tours have the same model.shell as this and they have done something similar.
Dash is solid, and I have thought about doing glass in a roll bar, but not sure if I'm going to do a full cage, maybe just a rear hoop.

Max G:

--- Quote from: robinson on April 08, 2017, 07:27:50 PM ---I cut holes in the top off the dash slid the smaller frame in the holes put spacers in the gap at each end off the dash then bolt it the same as other buggys bolting through the ends off the dash

--- End quote ---

hmmm, that is a very interesting solution. Never occurred to me to do that, thanks.

robinson:
the person  ( dino )that makes the windshields for the manx club can make one for you

syncrobuggy:
It is not hard or difficult to have one made up.  and doing that means you can get the rake and height you want.  Steel or aluminum tubing bent to the size you want and either secured down the side of the dash or on top of it.   The dashes in these were generally really thick.  Then they weld a small flange or flat bar around the hoop to mount the windshield to.

I did have a couple of old aluminum frames from the Hillbilly.  haven't seen them in a long time but I will look around and see if they are still in the shed. 

Max G:

--- Quote from: syncrobuggy on April 10, 2017, 11:17:25 AM ---I did have a couple of old aluminum frames from the Hillbilly.  haven't seen them in a long time but I will look around and see if they are still in the shed.

--- End quote ---

I appreciate that dude, thank you.

After thinking about it for a few weeks, if I can't source one I will probably get a tube bent to size, cut a slot on the inside to slide some glass I to and do what you said with welding some sort of flange on.
I assume the glass NEEDS to be slotted inside the tube for safety as just sitting on the inside of a hoop bar with even with urethane will not be super safe?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version