Author Topic: Rear Shocks  (Read 3533 times)

Offline seahwk51

Rear Shocks
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
I've been researching  options for rear shocks on my 74 Westy .I currently have KYB GR2 but want less sway ,seems like  alot of blogs highly recommend KONI # 80 2220 . Anybody have any different suggestions/feedback or know where these can be found?

Offline pittwagen

Re: Rear Shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
It really depends on how deep your pockets are. Bus Depot has the Konis as well as some good quality Boge/Sachs and the Gas  Adjust KYB's. Just make sure you check with them before you order as their online site sometimes does not reflect the in stock reality.

I have a set of GR2's for the front and Gas Adjusts for the rear of my 79 to be installed in the spring. If I don't like them I'm going with the Boge/Sachs higher quality ones. Folks on the Samba seem to like them.

Offline finkmobile

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
I recently got some Boge's for my front and rear shocks and I really enjoy them a lot. 

Offline seahwk51

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
Where's the best price to buy the boge shocks ?
I was also considering changing my steering damper as I have some free play and noticed there are quite a few options there as well again all  the Samba talk is about the Boge or Koni damper.Anyone have these  and notice any great change ?

Offline finkmobile

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

Offline finkmobile

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
Also I bought a steering damper from Bus Depot...I think they sent me a cofap. I haven't installed it yet, but when it gets installed I'll let you know. I'm sure either way its better than a worn out steering damper. Westfabulous on the Samba has a cofap installed on his bus and from what I remember he doesn't have a problem with it.

Offline seahwk51

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the koni's in the rear from Bus Depot with the Boge damper for the front (in a month or so) and throw a sway bar on the front hopefully this will minimize the sailboat effect I get when I cross the Coquihalla !
Still would love to get the feedback on the Cofab damper.
By the way can someone recommend a way to post pics ,I'd love to get a bus pics thread going !

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
I would not get rid of the front sway bar.  The bar works in combination with good shocks and proper rated tires to give you good handling.  I have been giving serious thought to adding a slightly stiffer sway bar.  I believe I have a Cofap damper on all 4 vw's I have here and they have been adequate for my purposes. 

Are you absolutely sure you have no excess play in your front end?  A poorly adjusted front end or one with worn components will cause your van to be hard to handle in crosswinds.  The front end on my 79 (176,000km) is tight and with proper tires it handles well in crosswinds, actually better than an 85 vanagon (138,000km) I had a few years back and even with shocks that are not new.

You need to find a place to host your pictures.  Photobucket is one  or you can even use the Samba.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
hopefully this will minimize the sailboat effect I get when I cross the Coquihalla !
Remarkably I haven't seen anyone mention tires yet, exactly what tires are you running on your bus (size, ply, load range)?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline seahwk51

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
No I said I'm planning to add a sway bar not remove one.
As for the front end ball joints are new ,steering box is new the damper is original and tires are 14" Yokohama (8ply ?, recommended tire).When I mentioned sail boat effect  I'm just trying to minimize the free play in the steering wheel.As for my shocks they are all 2-3 year old KYB (not gas) so in talking to my Vw mechanic he said going to a better shock especially in the rear end would make a huge difference.
Thanks for the photo advice I'll look into it.

Offline seahwk51

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
Trying the photo thing !
http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n415/seahwk51/

Finally!! :cheesy:

Offline finkmobile

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Sweet, the blue bus reminds me of one of those blue gumballs!

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
have you had it in for an alignment? Checked out the tie rod ends? Just because your steering box is new (refurb?)  doesn't mean its good. With my old 76 the handling improved a lot with a lower profile tire and also lowering the bus helped a lot.

You are driving a bus (technically a van) not a passenger car yet the vast majority of 14" tires are meant for passenger cars.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tires.html

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
Wow, must have had a gray moment about the sway bar. 

Assuming you have no excess play in the relay lever, the tie rod ends and the wheel bearings, how much free play do you have in the steering wheel at the outer edge?  Sounds like you have the right tires.  Front tires at 30psi? Rears about 40psi?

Offline seahwk51

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
Great point I will get the alignment done in the spring, I was just thinking of projects to start while it's stored .
Fink the orange bus is the blue bus just before after.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
Do the alignment with a load in the front seats, the toe changes significantly when the front seats are empty and setting it there gets you a squirelly bus when you and a friend are sitting in it.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS