Author Topic: WTB Sidewinder type exhaust for Manx Buggy  (Read 2464 times)

Offline ryancr500

WTB Sidewinder type exhaust for Manx Buggy
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new exhaust for my VW Manx clone buggy. Currently has dual cannons which are extremely loud.  I like the look of the Manx Sidewinder style of exhaust, although I'm open to other options. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:13:36 AM by ryancr500 »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: WTB Sidewinder type exhaust for Manx Buggy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
I have most of an orig 60's sidewinder header.. Missing front j pipes and muffler... Easy to fab up if your looking for a period correct header.

Offline josh

Sidewinder
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »

Kinda like the one im building right now?

:party1: :party1: :party1:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »
Whooooly S**T Josh !!! That's looking awesome , I was wondering how you were goin to integrate that side to come into that freeway of pipes . Killer job !!!
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
Josh that is pure beauty!!!!

Offline josh

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
Hehe thx boys scratch building a header is not for the faint of heart, there some hours into it fosho! Unlike the A1 and CSP python (whos design I jacked) I built it a true equal length hense the twizler off number 4....all primaries are 41-42".
Now gotta weld it all up and build a muffler

Ps sorry for the hijack, I just realized I hadn't updated my thread here for a while
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
niiice work dood.   :great:

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
Hi Geoff,
It doesn't have to be period correct. I'm having a 1914cc motor being built and the current twin cannons are way too loud.  Also, I was told that a little back pressure may be good for the motor.  I like the sidewinder type, but I'm open to other options. Primary concern is
performance. 
Ryan

I have most of an orig 60's sidewinder header.. Missing front j pipes and muffler... Easy to fab up if your looking for a period correct header.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
I run the dual cannons on my buggy.  I added spark arrestors which took away the bark and reduced the noise right down to an acceptable limit.

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
what type of spark arrestor did you use for those pipes.  Were you able to tune them to get the appropriate back pressure.

Could be a simple option,

Ryan

I run the dual cannons on my buggy.  I added spark arrestors which took away the bark and reduced the noise right down to an acceptable limit.

Offline Buggytime

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »

Here are two other styles to look at.  I have the same size motor as you, and I used to have the dual cannons and they were extremely loud, so loud that a cop was going the opposite direction on the freeway and turned around and caught up to me and pulled me over because of it.  I have the merged header with the horizontal muffler (top picture) and I am happy with it, but I really like this other merged header competition exhaust (bottom picture).  I'm sure you could try the spark arrestors, and they should cut the noise down, but it depends on how quiet you want.  My exhaust has a full sized muffler, and it's still noisy, and I'm not sure what the sidewinder has for a muffler.  You can get 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" exhaust, but I'm not too familiar with back pressure info.

Offline josh

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
I had the cheap empi version of that bottom pic on the black manx I built, it wasnt bad at all on the 1776
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »
ryancr500 wrote:

what type of spark arrestor did you use for those pipes.

Dual cannon spark arrestors are from CIP1.  4" diameter for 2" pipe.  Didn't mess with them much as I recall.  Power didn't seem to change after the installation but the trans is a 5.38 - 002 with 29" tires so it's mostly all bottom end.  Not a lot is gained by winding it out through the gears.  Top speed is about 70 mph.  First gear you can walk beside it.  Now I hear the gears  through the solid mounts instead of the exhaust bark.  Don't get to drive it much though.  Too many other toys!!

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »
That upper option from Moore parts looks comparable to the side winder. Any idea what size tubing is better 1 1/2 or 1 5/8.
They actually both look good!
Ryan