Author Topic: Test Fitting The Exhaust System  (Read 11876 times)

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Test Fitting The Exhaust System
« on: September 02, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 02:01:17 PM by jason_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Offline Klaatu

• http://www.airspeedparts.com
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 02:34:10 PM »
Well,this is the first siteing of Klaatu's propulsion system! It was a lot of effort but totally worth it.The project is going to include the install of a air/water intercooler ,fuel management,roll bar,fuel system,and a porsche fan cooled 2332.If anyone has any feedback I would be glad to hear it.I am hoping to inspire everyone to raise the bar up in Canada and have more cars in the cal-look top 10 and 20.That's all for now,Oh I almost forgot no post is complete without a jab.HULK,your ass is green for sure because your ass is grass baby. :lol:  AKA TurboJim
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:15:03 PM by Klaatu »
I can't reach the bottom but I sure bang the sh*t out of the sides....

Offline notchback

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »
so i guess my system will be ready for pick up on tues right little jimmy :lol:  
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 05:20:46 PM »
No problem,I will wip one off for u on my lunch.......... :P I would have to make u come up with a name for your car though. :lol:  :lol:  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Well,this is the first sitting of Klaatu's propulsion system! It was a lot of effort but totally worth it.The project is going to include the install of a air/water intercooler ,fuel management,roll bar,fuel system,and a porche fan cooled 2332.If anyone has any feedback I would be glad to hear it.I am hoping to inspire everyone to raise the bar up in Canada and have more cars in the cal-look top 10 and 20.That's all for now,Oh I almost forgot no post is complete without a jab.HULK,your ass is green for sure because your ass is grass baby. :lol:  AKA TurboJim
2007  look out Jim... Hopefully you will still have Kleetus by then and have not traded it for something else to add your name too... Besides, How is my green ass grass when I won't have a car.... Maybe Geoff will have his Turbo bus by then... :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 05:48:55 PM »
Would you be talking about the 3.6 turbo motor for Speed-E? ......I wish.

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 06:07:36 PM »

I don't think I ever had a chance to reply on the comment of Klaatu having a shit curl on his head. This is how I believe the Hulk will appear after he experiences the knee trembling,pant peeing awe of Klaatu's power. I think the marvel manties will keep the Hulk's Poo Poo from running down his green ass cheeks! It's going to be hard to sceam in fear with that soother in your lips.TJ    :o  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:34:57 PM by Klaatu »

Offline Needles

• http://
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 07:36:08 PM »
hmmmmm smells like 'Skinny White Trash'...... :P  

Billyisgr8

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 08:11:58 PM »
I think this is going to turn out into.... He who spends the most will win...Shane should get top honors for this already, he just keeps trying.

I think anyone who can get into the 12's with less than $3000.00 into their whole car should get top honors.

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:15:36 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:32:06 PM »
Shanes had some bad luck.We just need to find out were the problem is.I think it is in the software of the MSD box.The best thing to do right now is simplify things with a magneto and if the problem goes away then Dig into the software program a little more.Could also be an oil starvation issue.When your making that kind of power in a beetle it is like having 1600 HP in a 5.0 litre mustang,everything has to be perfect all the time or it will hurt itself.We just have to figure out the issue and deal with it. :huh:  

Offline Hansk

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 10:19:22 PM »

I think anyone who can get into the 12's with less than $3000.00 into their whole car should get top honors.

Kevin
I'm with ya there!!!   Not to mention doing it all them selves from scratch including building half the tools to do it with ;)  Less is more!!!!
That being said, I can't help but like what Jim is building here.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:33:57 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 12:02:46 AM »
read my signature, direct from Marvel Comics!

Billyisgr8

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 08:43:58 AM »
Shanes had some bad luck.We just need to find out were the problem is.I think it is in the software of the MSD box.The best thing to do right now is simplify things with a magneto and if the problem goes away then Dig into the software program a little more.Could also be an oil starvation issue.When your making that kind of power in a beetle it is like having 1600 HP in a 5.0 litre mustang,everything has to be perfect all the time or it will hurt itself.We just have to figure out the issue and deal with it. :huh:
what pistons/barrels were on the engine the last time? What exactly let go?  Was it the piston self destructing? or did a rod let go?  Were the piston pins getting enough oil? did the other pistons show signs of to much heat, are there oil squirters for the piston bottoms? Were the valves kissing the pistons?  Many could have beens.  Timing that is a good one, you also ran the same program when you had the car right?, There were many trips put on the program , maybe some adjustments, Is there a data log on the program of the last run?  Programs usually just don't glitch, the procesors do.  If there is a problem they would show up fairly quickly, and since there were many runs, and Shane driving the car around some I'm sure it would have been found out.  Is there a boost sensing box hooked up to the MSD? maybe there was a glitch there and it didn't give a signal so the msd could retard the timing?  Did he use the same block? which  cylinder destructed last time?   Engine clearances also play a huge part in big hp levels.

I hope all things will get worked out,  10 second beetles are awsome, Canada needs more.  I will never go 10 seconds, I am aiming for 11's..eventually, all with a singleport, and a bit larger engine at some point.

Have fun

Kevin

Billyisgr8

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »
Jim what kind of lift are you going to run? less than .480?  I notice you are running stock valve covers still.

Kevin

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 09:17:28 AM »
I think Shane should hire you for his pit crew.........I will be running Street Elim. with 46x40mm valves with Chevy springs.Cam lift will be in the .580 range.The heads will be done by K-Roc.Yes,I will be using stock style valve covers.

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 09:21:09 AM »
Hey,Danny get back to work!

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 10:32:25 AM »
This motor will be EFI..so that solves the fuel in the cab problem..but i thought that you were not allowed to run any oil or fuel inside the cab while drag racing?

i could be 100% wrong..i just thought...

turbo oil feed line..

am i wrong?
Cale

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »
Tin housing around - \"not in cab\"

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 11:50:52 AM »
In one of the last pictures there is a custom made aluminum cradle mount for the bell housing. Has the tranny been lifted up?? If so how much and more importantly why??
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:51:20 AM by slammedbus »
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »
The solid mount your seeing is made out of steel,it raises the trans. 1.5\" and lowers the car making it more stable at higher speeds.It also gets the car down without cambering the wheels in the back so you have the use of all the contact patch of the tire.The car should go mid to high 130's in the quarter so I want to do everthing I can to make the car as safe as possible.Good eye on spoting the tranny raise.TJ

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 01:33:46 PM »
mid to high 130's in the quarter

:)

Offline slammedbus

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »
That's a great idea. So to break this down for my small brain, you do this because the camber is all relative to the transmission height as compared to the center of the wheel; correct? Therefore you can lower the car without all of the negative camber thus keeping as much tire on the track as possible......if I have this right then it makes sense in my brain. If I do not have this right then next time I come down I will bring down some Crayolas so you can draw it out for me. :lol:  

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »
That's a great idea. So to break this down for my small brain, you do this because the camber is all relative to the transmission height as compared to the center of the wheel; correct? Therefore you can lower the car without all of the negative camber thus keeping as much tire on the track as possible......if I have this right then it makes sense in my brain. If I do not have this right then next time I come down I will bring down some Crayolas so you can draw it out for me. laugh.gif
BINGO!
jason gets one more star beside his name :)

Offline slammedbus

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »
BINGO!
jason gets one more star beside his name :)
Funny Junior.......very funny  [_[  

Offline Project Decade

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
shane are you going to have your car out next year??? or are you going to wait a year or two before bringing out the Hulk again?? What are your plans are you going to keep the turbo on the car or go to a n/a motor next time?? :D  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »
Pointblank is rapidly growing and we have decided on putting everything this year into the business, so decision was made to put everything else on hold for atleast a year , toys,trips etc..So at this point nothing is going to happen for sure for next season and not too sure about the next as the Olympics are coming I am getting busier....My plans are to stay Turbo and figure this one out, Thus why I dont have an engine again yet.. This time it will be all figured out before it hits the track... and the Hulk will hit 10's again and will hit the 130MPH mark..It may be the second or third  fastest beetle around here but it will still be a show to watch...That I promise... ;)  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
Well we are going to have to find a way to get your engine back in your car. Airspeed needs a Big reno done and you need a .......... ;)    Come on, No excuses Mr. Grumpy Green pants. :D  

Offline notchback

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 12:57:22 PM »
come on jimmy no updates???
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Klaatu

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
I have been waiting for the air/water intercooler,Just arrived today.I hope to do some work on it tomorrow when I get back from picking up parts in the States.It's hard to free up time at the shop with super Geoffy away.I will update as soon as I can.  TJ

Offline G-dog

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 10:23:09 AM »
I was watching Turbo Jimmy work the other day on his exhaust system, he looked more like Jimmy Neutron to me ! Just an observation....  
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5