Author Topic: Crank Pulley  (Read 1110 times)

Russ

Crank Pulley
« on: March 05, 2006, 01:53:46 PM »
i have a brand new CE pulley and it does not fit the crank key perfectly.
do they normally just slip on or will it have to be tapped into place?
i lined it up and pressed with my hands and i can see where it will take a little more material out of the pulley is this normal?
i imagine that it should be a tight fit just not sure how tight.
thanks russ

Offline Bruce

Crank Pulley
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 02:47:36 PM »
and i can see where it will take a little more material out of the pulley
I don't quite get what you mean by that.

You will get many replies on how tight the pulley should fit the crank.  Stock is a slight press fit, requiring a hammer.  I never liked that, so on all my pulleys I sand the ID to allow them to slip on by hand.  I have never had any problems this way in 100s of k of miles.

Russ

Crank Pulley
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 03:16:27 PM »
I don't quite get what you mean by that.

Stock is a slight press fit, requiring a hammer.
i guess what i mean is it would be a press fit.
when i put the pulley up to the crank it will not slip on,so i lined it up and gave it a firm push and i can see where it is making contact on the inside of the pulley.i'm sure if i kept tapping it with a rubber mallet it would go on.i just was not sure if that is what i needed to do.
i guess the other alternative would be a longer bolt to get it started then put the correct bolt on afterwards.
thanks for the reply Bruce

russ

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Crank Pulley
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:16:01 PM »
Russ,

Its a common issue when you get a CE pulley. You must heat the pulley with a heat gun for a long time so the ID of the crank pulley expands. Then put it on the crank end. YES it a pain in the ass. I think I'll take my CE pulley off and get a flapper wheel and take a thou or two off that bitchy pulley.