Author Topic: Flat Spot Off Idle.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline kirin

Flat Spot Off Idle.
« on: November 19, 2005, 11:37:52 AM »
Hey Guys and Gals,
Having just gotten my 1600cc dual port through aircare and passing(Woohoo!) i'm trying to address some of the issues it faces. One of them is the massive flatspot off idle thats been driving me mad. It seemingly is between 1/4 throttle and 3/4 throttle. And sometimes the bloody car bogs bad and the VROOOOM Takes off. Yes I am running the cursed 009. Is there anyway around it or am I going to have to go to a vacuum advanc mallory or back to something stock? Oh btw I'm running a jetted 34 pict 3 carb...
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Flat Spot Off Idle.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »

I believe it is your carburetor, which does not get along with your 009. I ran that setting for a while and tried different advances on my 009 until it worked very well after it warmed up. Be careful, there is a point at which the wrong timing can ruin your engine (do not know how to explain it.) I will look at my tech print outs, see if I can find it.

There is a lot of info on the net.

I went back to a stock 1971 distributor with dual vacuums. Some day, when I rebuild my dual 34-ict carbs, I will go back to my 009.

Emilio

Offline kirin

Flat Spot Off Idle.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 12:15:33 PM »
Maybe I should just ask for Kadrons for Christmas... Or just kill my paycheck some more since Snowboarding season is just around the corner.

I don't ever remember it being this bad. Maybe its the cold air or something or I'm used to the smoothness of my daily. But thers nothing worse then the thing bogging and me having to dump the clutch and rev it up a bit and then take off.
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Bruce

Flat Spot Off Idle.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 01:37:10 AM »
You need to go back to completely stock.  That means the dist.  You have to make sure the carb you have has the right vacuum ports to run the dual vacuum dist, or the single vacuum dist.  Then you have to make sure the pulley has the right timing marks on it.
I recommend the dual vacuum dist.  It is the one that guarantees you will pass aircare every year without adjustment.