Author Topic: Great Canadian VW Show...Celebrating 20 Years...  (Read 5491 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Great Canadian VW Show...Celebrating 20 Years...
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
this year the GCVWS is celebrating 20 successfull years so to celebrate this milestone i thought it might be kind of cool to start a thread honouring the superb tradition that is The Great Canadian VW Show!

this thread will hopefully become a place where people can share their stories, pictures and highlights and lowlights from shows from the past...as well as post some features and press that the shows have gotten over the years.

so dig deep into that storage space/box of pictures and/or old magazines and hazy memory and lets see & hear what you've got!! :cool:

i'll start with the oldest magazine coverage i have...from hotvws feb 1995 issue. it was a feature on the 4th annual show in 1994. the show was then called The Great Canadian Bug Show and was sponsored by VW of Canada. it was also held in conjunction with shows in Calgary & Toronto...

the next mag coverage i have is from the 8th annual show in 1999. the show was now called the Great Canadian VW Show and was hosted, sponsored and organized by the DVKK, the BulliBoys and CIP.

this one is pretty special to me as it was my first time taking part in the GCVWS weekend. i had just bought my 56 oval and was stoked to be going to my first ever show with it. i had read about the show in years prior, but had never been before, so i was excited. i remember seeing geoff smoke the hides on his garnett red beetle (see pic below) at the old cip (on mcpherson, iirc) and i was giddy like a little school girl  ;D. i dragged a couple of friends along for the ride and i remember being blown away by the quality of cars at the show and the size of the gathering, and all the friendly vw folks in the community...i was hooked!!! :cool:

next up is coverage from the 10th annual GCVWS in 2001. this show was also pretty special for me. i had had the chance to meet a few more folks and make some connections, and was really getting into the scene and the cars more than ever. iirc, brad langs ghia had just been finished and when i saw it parked in the pits at mission raceway my jaw dropped. beautifull ride. other highlights for me include the bbq at lannys old shop (split window restorations) just off sw marine drive. the food was great, the company was friendly, and brad pursers patinaed oval doing a massive burnout was way cool. and the cruise that followed through ubc and down to spanish banks was fun too...especially when we had to pass through a police road block and cameron had to explain to the officers what that bottle was doing in the luggage compartment behind the back seat  ;)! the show was great and it was the first time i got to see a few full on mirrored-up show cars (dave sinclair, etc...see pic below)...beautifull!!

i'll post more pics and a few more stories as time allows.

but i'd really like to hear what others have to say...and seeing some old school GCVWS pics would be great too...so post 'em up and lets pay tribute to the past as we get ready to embrace the future...of the Great Canadian VW Show!!!

:cool:

**edit to restore pics**
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:10:55 PM by silas »

Offline Jord63

• Jordan Woodley
  • 20years with the same car and it never gets boring
Re: Great Canadian VW Show...Celebrating 20 Years...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
What an awesome thread Silas. Brings back some killer memories. Thats my car on the bottom right hand of page 87 of the Feb 2000 issue you posted, cant remember why I parked with the HPA beetles, I was still working their at the time.
I still have the dash plaque from the first Great Canadian I went to, it was Aug 23rd 1992. It was the second year of the show, I was 16 and had only had my drivers licence for a few weeks. I had owned my car for about 6 months by then and spent every spare moment I had cleaning and tinkering and getting  my car running with my Dad and two best friends. I was getting to know the guys from CIP quite well as I was their every second weekend spending my paycheque.  Geoff told me about the show but it was way more than I expected when I got there. It was a great day and I was forever hooked on the aircooled world. I wish I had a scanner to post some of the old pics I have from that day. The only years I have missed this show was the ones that interfered with my wedding and anniversary,and I missed it last year for Hot August Nights, although I got my wife there one year on a very hot day on our anniversary, driving the car and she was 7 months pregnant, she wasnt overly happy with me that day. Needless to say we didnt stay all day. Now my son is six and he gets as excited as I do to go to this show. Lets keep the stories coming.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
Outstanding job as always Silas.
Here are a shot from 1992 if I remember correct. We had a cruise from CIP to the event (Brad spun the Buggy out going thru Coquitlam) ;D
Top right is Kevin Shellards 1965 beetle, either John Spence beetle or Rob's Oval, Then my Yellow 59..

This pic was taken from the dirt mound that would become the waterpark-skate park in later years.

And another with our club line up, this was from 1998

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »
i grew up loving old cars (dad had a few),.. back in '96 i started looking around for something and started thinking about a beetles,. in early '97 found my '75 canadian deluxe.. my first car and still have her!!.. i came into the old CIP and met geoff, bruce and kris. I came to my first show that year and over time started to help out more and more evntually becoming a full DVKK member and with bruce started BJ's hotdogs !!

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline Chris E.

• I like you.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:39:07 PM »
right on guys!!! great stories and memories!!

and it's really neat to see those pics from way back in '92! good job & keep them coming!!

i cant remember what year is was...but i had ended up at the show without a ride home back to vancouver. i bumped into alan u and he said i could catch a ride with him in his 65 (the same one that runs n/a'd high 11's at mission). well...that gear stack in his tranny isnt very highway cruising friendly so i remember him blasting it up to around 7grand in 4th and then popping it in nuetral to coast for awhile...did that all the way back to the city...not sure what the speedo read cause my eyes were full of tears from shear excitement! but i remember the sound inside the cabin and it was intense and the tach needle was hovering around 7! ;D

another fond memory i have is of meeting will pellegrino (rip) in 2003. i was immediately drawn to his freshly done coral 56 oval rag (inspiration for my own car) at the airspeed pancake breakfast. i had asked around to find the owner and when i met will he was friendly and courteous, and spent alot of time answering all my questions and we shared some laughs. i remember he was also genuinely excited and honoured to be taking part in the gcvws weekend. i found some of his pics on thesamba.com (there are alot there) and figured i'd post them here...

wills car parked with the dvkk cars...

wills car in the show...

**edit to restore pics**
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:12:58 PM by silas »

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »
This year is going to be the best yet.... iagree. We are working on it hard!!
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline DarrenE

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
This year is going to be the best yet.... iagree. We are working on it hard!!
Woohoo!  'Can't wait! ;D
Kootenay Volkswagen Society

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »
 iagree
 PDT_Armataz_01_37

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
It's fun to look back thru these old photos. 23 years has gone by quick! I remember judging the first event and thinking it was hard work, the people doing it today need a real pat on the back! They show up early on the Sunday and work hard all day in the heat to make this event happen. A big Thank you to everyone involved!

Watching our little event grow each year has been a joy, It's been over ten years since we made it a 3 day event and this is shaping up to be the best yet!
Thanks to everyone who helps make this happen.

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
Wow! Almost forgot about this thread!.. 23 years!, one day we will be old retired folks and still doing this ! And looking back at these old memories amd pics

"only dead fish swim with the stream"