Author Topic: vernon vw show- who went  (Read 1603 times)

Offline beetlemandan

vernon vw show- who went
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
well, I would have gone, but I just got back on Friday from a week in the bush. that and my beetle hits 250f on the oil after 10 minutes on the highway...  I guess I could have towed it.

anyways, my father-in-law got best in show with a 1970 crew cab all done to showroom specs!

so? who went? how was it? jerome? purple turd? the k-town crew?

pics?
the customer is always wrong

Offline purple turd

Re: vernon vw show- who went
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
Didnt even know there was a show  total news to me

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
my beetle hits 250f on the oil after 10 minutes on the highway... 
So lets discuss why that happens because that's really wrong.......tell us about the weight of oil you run, what distributor you have and how your timing is set, what oil pressure it's showing cold and warm, how you set your endplay, doghouse or straight cooler/shroud, tire size and gear ratios, carb, jetting, exhaust, compression ratio, etc......It'd also be handy to know where your temp sender is located and if you calibrated it.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
So lets discuss why that happens because that's really wrong.......tell us about the weight of oil you run, what distributor you have and how your timing is set, what oil pressure it's showing cold and warm, how you set your endplay, doghouse or straight cooler/shroud, tire size and gear ratios, carb, jetting, exhaust, compression ratio, etc......It'd also be handy to know where your temp sender is located and if you calibrated it.

and i'm 100% sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact I fly cut the heads .040" without improving the stock cooling system.....

hmmmm... stockish compession = normal operating temps. compression that needs 95 octane = overheating

weird huh? also, 150f pavement is normal in the south Okanagan

but if you really want to know: 10w30 oil, 009 set at 8 degrees at 800 rpm, stock dual port shrouding throughout, 50 psi at cold idle, 15 - 20 at 180f at idle, endplay? I dunno- no slop? tires are 205-60-15, stock tranny,  3200 rpm at 100kph, carbs are k-dogs running a tad fat, exhaust is bugpack headers with a mondo muffler, compression ratio- way too much, temp sender is on the pressure reg at the back of the engine, no calibration, but i'd just as soon touch the header as I would the engine block

Offline purple turd

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
I use a pertronix vac distributor with my kads and have no heat issues.went to kelowna last weekend at nearly 40 degrees and stayed in the safe range

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »

and i'm 100% sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact I fly cut the heads .040" without improving the stock cooling system.....

hmmmm... stockish compession = normal operating temps. compression that needs 95 octane = overheating

weird huh? also, 150f pavement is normal in the south Okanagan

but if you really want to know: 10w30 oil, 009 set at 8 degrees at 800 rpm, stock dual port shrouding throughout, 50 psi at cold idle, 15 - 20 at 180f at idle, endplay? I dunno- no slop? tires are 205-60-15, stock tranny,  3200 rpm at 100kph, carbs are k-dogs running a tad fat, exhaust is bugpack headers with a mondo muffler, compression ratio- way too much, temp sender is on the pressure reg at the back of the engine, no calibration, but i'd just as soon touch the header as I would the engine block
Hmmmm...well the oil pressure is high, maybe check that endplay or swap out to a smaller pump because if the relief valve is off it's seat all the time very little oil gets cooled, most just goes back to the sump.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline purple turd

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »
I also use rotella 5w40 synthetic oil and hyperlube zinc replacement

Offline Jerome

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Back on topic..... What show?
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:28 AM »
the one at Vernon vw on Saturday afternoon, it was advertised in the upcoming events section on here

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:12 AM »
and busdaddy, you might wanna re-read what I said about my compression ratio. I had zero problems prior to boosting my compression.

Offline aircooleddave1965

• Aircooled addicted
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:56:12 AM »
I was there...It was a smallish Show and shine put on by OKVW club. I am a member, this is the third year and we need it to grow to keep Vernon VW as the sponsor! All you Penticton guys, Summerland, Kamloops etc. should try to make this next year We definitely need more air cooled cars.
'57 356 Speedster
'63 Scab
'73 High top Bay
'65 Kombi
‘70 Vert

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
i'm bummed I didn't get to go, but having already booked a camping thing, I really didn't feel like doing more driving the very next day. my faja -in-law said it was mostly water pumpers, but still, more of us acvw types should make the scene.

Offline Schvengy

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:29 AM »
I was in Vancouver for the weekend...missed it!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
, 009 set at 8 degrees at 800 rpm,
Your timing is too retarded.  What's the total advance at around 3000rpm.

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
good question... I might have to go and buy one as my access to timing lights is non existent these days.

still, I plan on freshening up the bearings this winter a dropping the compression down to a more humane level