Author Topic: What Diff Is This?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Glenn

• http://www.glenn-ring.com
What Diff Is This?
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:17:21 PM »
I found a differential in my stash of parts and not sure exactly what it is.

It's IRS and has 4 spyder gears. There's a VW part number stamped on it 113 517 135.

It looks like a stock VW diff that's been modified to accept the extra spyder gears.

Glenn

74 Beetle Specs web page
74 Beetle Resto web pages

\"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get\"

Billyisgr8

What Diff Is This?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:18:46 PM »
That looks like a Transform unit, I have one too..  Does it say Transform,  patent pending on it on the nut...could have been on the diff too, I can't remember?  The welded nut broke loose on mine and had to be re-welded.  Don't know if it is stronger or weaker than a new one though.  Mine has held up pretty good pushing a super beetle with a 120 hp T4 , I droped the clutch many times expecting to break the stock diff,  When I took the tranny apart this was in it.  

Maybe Bruce can chime in about strength.

Kevin

Offline Bruce

What Diff Is This?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »
The pro trans guys don't like those diffs, probably because they see lots of them busted.  But they also see lots of aftermarket superdiffs busted too.
The one good thing that has going for it is that the cast iron used by VW is wayyyyyy better than the crap iron used in a supediff.  The only problem with the design is that they have to weld that bushing onto the side of the housing for the extra shaft.  That's where they break.
I can't tell from the pics if the diff has 15 tooth side gears or 17 tooth gears.  If it had the stronger 15 tooth gears, I probably wouldn't discount it's strength too much.  Got a closer pic of the splines sticking out?