Author Topic: Can't See Pics  (Read 2249 times)

Matt

Can't See Pics
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:57:18 PM »
How come when I post a picture using Imagestation, I can see it in the topic but noone else can? like my signature line....can you see it??

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Can't See Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 07:52:52 AM »
Because the imagestation website designers are smart.
imagestation is in the business of selling prints and products with photos on them. It's arguably a risky strategy, profit-wise, to offer unlimited storage space to anyone, in the hopes that users will actually order enough products from them to actually profit on the cost of the server space used to store the images. One issue they found was images appearing in online forums. Any time anyone views an imagestation stored image, it is downloaded from the imagestation servers to the user's computer, and this takes bandwidth. Multiply the size of an image in KB by the number of downloads, and the bandwidth usage rises with each page view. When it gets into the GB for each image, it then likely costs a lot more to host the image than they're ever going to make in profits derived from that image. So they came up with clever code to prevent it.
Do yourself a favour, and get your own domain name and storage space. www.inexpensivedomains.com will get you up and running at about $10.00 a month. You'll have your own unrestricted space and bandwidth and you can get started on an autoMATTic.com website.
Jason Hamilton

Matt

Can't See Pics
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 09:37:42 AM »
BASTARDS! I'll figure it out yet.....

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Can't See Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 03:05:29 PM »
One thing I did notice:
I checked the properties of your signature image and found your imagestation account and viewed the image there. After viewing it once, the image was automatically stored in a temp folder on my computer. Since computers search there for cache files before downloading, your sig image now appears as you intended - at least on my home computer.

On my work computer I see you've stored the image elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 03:06:27 PM by j_c_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Matt

Can't See Pics
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
I am using web space from Telus. hopefully I won't have any more problems.