Author Topic: Diamond Green '57  (Read 11281 times)

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 08:24:13 AM »
thanks, the CF hood is gonna be sold off. it's gonna se mostly street time and there is a pass seat matching the drivers, i'm gonna have to line it in plastic or carry some depends for them thou :D  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Diamond Green '57
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
other than the tach, t-bars and centerlines its not looking to mean anymore
those are ercos.

car looks great with the diamond green steel 4 tab josh. great work.

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »
yes they are ercos, light as hell.......thanks
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
Well not much action on my car until recently, i've started cleaning and mic'ing out all the motor internals, crank, pistons, jugs, case etc.
Ordered lots of new bits, found a couple lightly used 94mm wiseco's, one to replace the hurt piston and one as a spare, just gotta notch some valve reliefs into them and balance to match. Got a 6x11\" setrab oil cooler of a Nascar comming. I've had my eye on one of those billet washable ss screened oil filters for a long time so I broke down and have one and a jaycee external pressure relief filter mount on their way too (hopefully they wifes out when the UPS truck rolls up :ph34r:  :ph34r: )
ditched the 135's on the front and had a set of 175/55/15's off a smart car mounted this morning, they look like they're gonna clear everything ok. I just got home from the wrecker and bought some 205/70/15's for the rear with lots of crusty old tread still for $20 each.................stay tuned for some smokey assed burnout vids hopefully soon :rockon:  :rockon:
Something else i've been playing with is machining a replacement velocity stack for the missing one. Why not just buy one you ask.....cause jaycee just recently changed the size/ style- they're shorter and narrower without the rolled lip on top. Here's a couple shots of my progress, I should of got a shot of the lump I started with@ 4.5\" hunk of T6061 aluminum round stock

shavings anyone???

And eventually it should look like this

Inside profile is done (the hard part) now on to the outside curve and flange. I'm gonna be pretty proud of myself if it actually turns out...I don't really know what i'm doing, just wingin' it :wacko: And when i'm done I just happen to have a connection in an annodizing shop to match the blue :rockon:  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline vanBoven

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
:blink: ............wow!

do you own that lathe?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Diamond Green '57
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
nice work on the v stack josh. B)  

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 09:24:45 PM »
thanks silas.

yes I own the lathe, well half own it, me and the father in law went halfers on it a couple months ago. So mint havin' an inlaw that's into cars, he's doin a 57 chev 2 door post hot rod, his first car at 16 and he still has it!!!!! He's also got mig, tig welders and a plasma cutter....I married into the right family.
 This is the first time i've used the lathe since we got it. It works great, weighs about 1000lbs, 5 ft bed with drop for doing large things like turning rotors, made in england in the 40-50's and the best part was only $500 with a ton of tooling :rockon: Just don't get your extremities anywhere near the open drive gears :o  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »
big brown truck rolled up yesterday and brought me some goodies.

I'm planning on deleting my stock oil cooler and running the external setrab beside the trans.

here's how I was gonna set it up:
blank off the stock cooler ports, cut and fill the doghouse tin on the scat shroud and plug the stock relief plungers.
from the full flow pump outlet to jaycee relief filter unit, by-pass to sump
out of filter to an oil thermostat tee (to bypass the remote cooler for warm up) from the tee, to the cooler and full flow supply port on the case.

I think it should be pretty slick when all hooked up, the oil will come up to operating temp quickly with the 4 port thermostatic valve, and then when hot run up to the setrab cooler which will have a 180F fan switch on the outlet for those hot days.

Pic or the Jaycee bypass releif mount and billet cleanable filter on exhaust hanger. The relief pops open at 80 psi and dumps back into the deep sump. I think I might try to modify it so it relieves at 60 psi. I really like the stainless mesh filter, way better than the paper element filters that all have a little relief that opens over 12 psi and sends unfiltered oil to your bearings so the only time you are filtering is when idling, pretty stupid. I just gotta remeber to clean it regularly cause there is no saftey bypass in the billet one.

Also got a replacement intake valve for my heads, now I can get them put back together :rockon:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:05:54 AM by josh »
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Chris

• Car.
Diamond Green '57
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 08:06:11 AM »
why do you want to delete the stock oil cooler? they work very well.

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
cause the one I have leaks like a sieve, it blew up and was a real pain in the ass, not saying they don't work well but I wanted to try something different. plus I don't and I doubt many others do run a stock thermostat/flaps in the shroud and I like the idea of a quick warm up which I didn't see a way of doing with the stock cooler in place.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 08:25:28 PM »
kinda taking my time on this motor build. following jim martin's thread as I go (great write up by the way), tripple checking everything.
the case, crank, cam, pistons and bearings are all measured out, and mocked up and everything is looking good.
now i'm on to degreeing the cam, here's a pic checking the lift usin a mag base dial indicator and a couple old lifters with a stub of pushrod epoxied in to measure off of.

also pissin around with a little detailing, here's my stealth alternator, I love the black crincle finnish

now I need to make a descision on cylinders, I descovered the ones I have have a decent gouge in one bore, may just bite the bullet and go with some long jaycee jugs and trim em for deck rather than running barrel shims.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »
stack is DONE!!!! WHOFUCKINRA!!!! That was a little time consuming. shoulda bucked up $250us for a new set of 4 but thats no fun :P

the last one there is a shot of my super high buck cutting edge technology milling machine ( $39 cambodian tire special) shaping the 2 bolt flange on the base of the stack. that's the only give away ( other than color right now) that it doesn't match, the originals were 2 peice welded together.

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline josh

Diamond Green '57
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 05:42:49 PM »
couple more goodies for the stash, setrab ran off a nascar I scooped off ebay, gonna mount it up beside the trans and a pair of CE fuel injection manifolds with extra bungs welded in to add alcohol under boost (for the next turbo project)

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2