Author Topic: 1965 Volvo P1800  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
1965 Volvo P1800
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »
Next project is the 65 Volvo P1800, This car is a one owner car that was just sold to the new owner last year. The new owner wanted to restore it (mild custom) as it was his friends first car.

To say this car had rust was an understatement....
I'm going to keep the pic's to a minimum as no matter where you looked it had rust! These are very similar to a Ghia, coach built bodys with many inner panels that trap water. Over the years the rust just eats away at every square inch of rockers,seams and inners.

This car is going to be a driver and not a show car, inners will be undercoated so no major detailing just rust repair and lots of it.

I'll add some before shots when I find them. rear fenderlips are all gone,light hit in rear panel below tail lights as well in pass rear 1/4.

First off we had the car blasted then etch primed so we could see what we were woking with ...in this case what we had left to work with.
Lower front 1/4, it had some pin holes so I cut it open to see what we had...

Yikes!
Thats three inners all rusty..
starting to cut away the rust

Starting to replace metal..

Next after the welds were ground, metal rust prepped, seam sealed...then welded back up.

Next the rear area, a look under the fender showed it was going to need a lot of work!

Here the rear lower 1/4 has been removed and used as a template,I made a new one on the english wheel as shown.
***panels are available new for these cars but why not make your own***

checking fit

More soon!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:23:45 AM by Geoff »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
1965 Volvo P1800
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »
.....more rust

It was time to cut open the rear 1/4 and see what was inside, more of the usual!

**above** note the rear suspension mount to the far right of the pic, all that needs to be replaced as well.**

Let's see whats behind the rocker? My guess is................rust?

Starting to cut away the rust to reveal....more rust!

This is just a quick inner panel, (one of many but this is the outer of them)the line is a little crooked but it's hidden.

Making the new outer skin..

Big jump, will ad pic's of body work soon...

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
1965 Volvo P1800
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »
I hope he has a lot of sentimental value in that thing...  

Offline G-dog

1965 Volvo P1800
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
I hope he has a lot of sentimental value in that thing...
More like semi-mental! :lol:  
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5