Author Topic: Time To Watch Out!  (Read 4758 times)

Offline blarneyman

Time To Watch Out!
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:24:18 PM »
OK so, lets come up with excuses.

I need a big engine because of my trips to Kamloops with the boat and family and stuff. UUUUUM!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:24:45 PM by egspot »

Offline dannyboy

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »
thats ridiculous, at what point is a car designed for street racing??
who decides that?

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
what a joke......

Offline Bruce

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:28:57 PM »
It won't go anywhere.  
I wonder what kind of car the Ontario AG drives?  If it is a totally stock car that happens to have plenty of hp, like say a BMW 7 series, one could argue it was purchased specifically for street racing, therefore it should be crushed.  The same would apply for every Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang...........
I would think all you would need is to keep all your ET slips from your local track to prove the car wasn't built for street racing.
Let's hope the Ontario gestapo's laws don't make it out here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:32:23 PM by Bruce »

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
this whole thing is getting out of hand down here, they just came out with a new law were if you are 50kms over they can just take your car, licence and theres like 5 grand worth of charges something like that!, i just got a ticket last week guy came to the window asked licence and all that, then came back with a ticket no explination no talking... watch out going down hills in the dubs! ha
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »
this is a touchy subject...but i'll sound off with my opinion....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...cars-seize.html
the seize & destroy with no evidence of a street race or charges is a little harsh. however, those young douche bags in that article that were racing and involved in the death of that trucker should be put away for a long, long time.

...they just came out with a new law were if you are 50kms over they can just take your car, licence and theres like 5 grand worth of charges something like that....
you know what...i kind of like that one.

is there really any need to go 50kmh over the speed limit? no.  

Offline egspot

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
this is a touchy subject...but i'll sound off with my opinion....

the seize & destroy with no evidence of a street race or charges is a little harsh. however, those young douche bags in that article that were racing and involved in the death of that trucker should be put away for a long, long time.

you know what...i kind of like that one.

is there really any need to go 50kmh over the speed limit? no.
Those who want to race go to the track and do it.

I agree with Silas 50k over is asking for it and you find that you can't handle it a bit after the accident happens. The true is somebody allways gets hurt.

On the other hand it should not matter that the car capable of doing 100 or 140 mph, If you drive resposably on the roads. If they start picking on cars that can perform beyong speed limits, They should start with their own interceptors and follow the predators chain with every Porche, Ferrari, etc.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
who decides that?
when it is going 80mph down king george hwy???? Just a thought
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline egspot

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 08:37:17 PM »
who decides that?
when it is going 80mph down king george hwy???? Just a thought
 speedometer? :D

Kms vs Mph ooops! :D  

Offline dannyboy

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
it wasnt 80!!!!

more like 75.......

Offline Cameron

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »
If it is a totally stock car that happens to have plenty of hp, like say a BMW 7 series, one could argue it was purchased specifically for street racing, therefore it should be crushed.  The same would apply for every Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang...........

The CBC article says...

\"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline kirin

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »
That legislation would be great! :rolleyes:

Every single vehicle of mine is modified in some way. How about we focus on removing all the UNSAFE vehicles off the road and focusing on better drivers training rather then targeting the minority of drivers...
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Cameron

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »
And on a related topic... from today's Vancouver Sun.

Fast Cars, Small Parts?

Sun News Services
Published: Monday, November 05, 2007

Sometimes advertising can be too powerful. A few months ago the Road and Traffic Authority in Australia's New South Wales state launched a provocative ad campaign to try to shame young men in fast and powerful cars -- known colloquially as \"hoons\" -- from driving dangerously. The billboards feature an attractive young woman gesturing dismissively with the \"little pinky\" of her right hand. The implication is that \"hoons\" roar around town in massive machines to compensate for a lack of horsepower in the trouser department. The global truth of this observation can, of course, be verified by standing for five minutes on any street corner. The ad has had an effect beyond its target audience and swiftly altered driving culture. In Australia the \"little pinky\" has become the gesture of choice over the more traditional middle finger as a response to all manner of bad or thoughtless driving. But when Simon Jardak of Sydney got the little pinky sign from a woman driver he'd just carved up it brought on a fit of road-rage. He was so incensed at the comment on his manhood that he threw a water bottle at the woman's car. Magistrates fined him the equivalent of $400 for \"malicious damage.\"

Offline Cameron

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »
How about we focus on removing all the UNSAFE vehicles off the road and focusing on better drivers training rather then targeting the minority of drivers...
The problem has never been unsafe vehicles. The problem is bad drivers, it always has been.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:59:22 AM by Cameron »

Offline GMB

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
If people were punished properly in the first place there would be less of a problem! here's a good example.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/09/14/...ed20050914.html

It's pretty shakey law to crush someones car on suspicion of street racing and or because they have a modified car. If people who were caught speeding under maybe a three strikes rule and had a modified car then I would say they had it comming. Or of course like the example here either deportation or major jail time for folks caught actually \"street racing\" and or causing any harm would be acceptable.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Billyisgr8

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
While the govt is at it they should make mandatory speed limiters on semi's so they can't go over 100 kmh.

Speed does kill, impatient  bad drivers are a nightmare.  Last sept long weekend 2006 in 24 hours there was  24- 27 accidents on the trans canada between Sicamous and Salmon arm on 32 kms of road..ridiculous...8 people died that day, and many hurt for life all because some moron decided that the speed limit wasn't fast enough, or that driving in a line of cars was taking too long to get back home.

I know it is hard to resist the temptation to step on it and drag somebody when they pull up beside you, the only deterent to make somebody think twice about it is to make the penalty huge.

This is one big can of worms if it really does goes through.  Hopefully something like this would have to be documented by video as proof, and not just a cop using his discretion and attitude at the time.

Yes the punished people properly argument...., just imagine what public floggings would do for crime  

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 12:36:02 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline kirin

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Drivers training in B.C is a joke compared to drivers training in Europe. I haven't ever seen statistics comparing say Germany to Canada however I would imagine there would be some differences. My point being is that vehicles over there undergo much stricter examination to insure roadworthyness. Yes I do agree that there are a lot of unsafe drivers in BC. However I much rather have people being attentive and know what they are doing and speed, then have soccer moms on cellphones driving 5000LB SUV's on the highways.

A solution would be to completly rework the drivers training program and give people the skillset to be better drivers...

As for Vehicles the last time it snowed in the Lower Mainland the amount of Vehicles that I saw that were sliding around because they were improperly prepared for the weather was ridiculous. Bald all seasons or High performance tires don't belong in the snow period.

Simply put if your vehicle is not 100% up to operating properly it should be off the road. Brakes, and tires are crucial. That and unsafe drivers are just ticking timebombs.

Offline Bruce

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Speed does kill,
No it doesn't.  That is a myth spread by knee-jerk reactionists.
Bad drivers doing stupid things is what kills.  Speed just alters the severity of the crash.  Speeding rarely magically creates the crash.
If you held onto the simplistic concept that speed kills, then we should all install speed limiters in our cars preventing them from exceeding 30km/hr.

Billyisgr8

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »
Speeding rarely magically creates the crash.

But when it does they are hoirific and uncomprehendable at the destruction left...

You are right, it isn't the speeding, driving error of judgment is the key and knowing how a car handles in situations of road conditions and weather which is so unpredictable, most drivers will loose it because they just don't know how to recover.

An intresting fact is compare Japan (66) to Canada (85) road fatalities per million.  I know Japan has speed limiters on every verhicle, I think it is 80 kmh or 100 kmh , their driving test is one of the toughest to pass, takes  6 days to complete from what I remember.  Maybe we need something like this also.  I remember from living there, there was many times I almost said watch out outloud from how they drive so close to everything

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 02:20:52 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline egspot

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
No it doesn't.  That is a myth spread by knee-jerk reactionists.
Bad drivers doing stupid things is what kills.  Speed just alters the severity of the crash.  Speeding rarely magically creates the crash.
If you held onto the simplistic concept that speed kills, then we should all install speed limiters in our cars preventing them from exceeding 30km/hr.

So for the sake of argument, stupidity kills. :wub:  

Matt

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »
While the govt is at it they should make mandatory speed limiters on semi's so they can't go over 100 kmh.

I've always thought there was something in the water up there, but now I know it. That is by far the most ignorant thing I've heard you say. Why would you want to restrict a trucks speed when most of the highways in BC are 110? Do you think that may piss of more car drivers and make them perfrom unsafe passing maneuvers? We hear about truck accidents on the radio and TV all the time down here, and it's ALWAYS the trucks fault. Even when that motorcycle lost control on the Port Mann bridge and slid into the back tires of a trailer, killing its two riders. Until the details were revealed, the radio was saying \" we have yet another semi accident on the port mann bridge\"

Perhaps we could train the car drivers, that to pull in front of a loaded tractor and hammer the binders just to make an exit is perhaps a bad idea. Perhaps instead of putting limiters on tractors alone, lets do it to every vehicle on the roads. Cause for the amount of bad truck drivers there are, there is sure as shit alot more dangerous car drivers.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 03:10:39 PM »
Many fleet trucks already have limiters in them set to 110 KM/H,  I say we install cattle guards on tractors so that when asshole drivers get in there way they can just give them a push to the side. It happens to me at work, I only drive a loaded 1 ton yet its still more difficult for me to stop fast than it is for the asswipe in the honda that just cut me off.

SLOW DRIVERS are just as much of a hazard as fast drivers, hence the latest action of ICBC and Motor Vehicle Branch to start pushing the \"KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS\" rule, new signs have been going up all over the place, still doesnt help though. I have always tried my best to live by the flow of traffic rule as long as I was comfortable doing it. If traffic in the fast lane is doing 130 and you want to pass someone, be prepared to do that speed or wait until its a pace your comfortable with.

Back on topic though, if you want to race take it to the track. It's unlikely that they are going to impound your car if your driving responsibly and abiding the law.

Offline Bruce

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »

An intresting fact is compare Japan (66) to Canada (85) road fatalities per million.  

Given the fact that the vast majority of people in Japan don't drive, and that you can't go anywhere, your stat shows how much worse they are.

Offline Cameron

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »

You are right, it isn't the speeding, driving error of judgment is the key and knowing how a car handles in situations of road conditions and weather which is so unpredictable, most drivers will loose it because they just don't know how to recover.

According to Kirin, it's the car's fault.

As for Vehicles the last time it snowed in the Lower Mainland the amount of Vehicles that I saw that were sliding around because they were improperly prepared for the weather was ridiculous. Bald all seasons or High performance tires don't belong in the snow period.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:00:47 PM by Cameron »

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
Back in the day we would go racing in behind industrial areas and go do it there,( I dont condone that either) these people That are street racing are barreling  down #3 road in Richmond and down Night street were there are lots of people walking and driving around. Kids in high priced cars with limited driving experience.
I quite driving a bus because of all the idiots on the road. No common curtisea(sp) on the roads any more. I drove a loaded bus with people standing waiting to get off and some idiot cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes and they go flying. Usually its the poor old lady with her groceries because no one would give up their seat.  :angry:
There should be harder tests with no interpiters.

Offline kirin

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »

Isn't that how ICBC views it?

At any rate its not like people would actually take responsibility for ensuring their vehicles are safe. When was the last time you saw someone checking their tire pressure?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:33:12 PM by kirin »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 04:33:06 PM »

Isn't that how ICBC views it?

At any rate not it like people would actually take responsibility for ensuring their vehicles are safe. When was the last time you saw someone checking their tire pressure?
I checked mine the other day, I check the air on my work truck once a month, I checked Courteneys car the other day. Maybe you can try that with ICBC after your next accident.

Why yes my tire pressure appears to be low, but who checks it anyways? Its got to be the cars fault, no way its my fault!

Offline kirin

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
The thing is that we are by far the minority. The general public that uses their car as appliances, I wonder how many people check their tire pressure regularly, or know how to change a flat, or to move thier vehicle to a safe place post an accident if it is still driveable....

-Kirin

Billyisgr8

Time To Watch Out!
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »

I've always thought there was something in the water up there, but now I know it. That is by far the most ignorant thing I've heard you say. Why would you want to restrict a trucks speed when most of the highways in BC are 110? Do you think that may piss of more car drivers and make them perfrom unsafe passing maneuvers? We hear about truck accidents on the radio and TV all the time down here, and it's ALWAYS the trucks fault. Even when that motorcycle lost control on the Port Mann bridge and slid into the back tires of a trailer, killing its two riders. Until the details were revealed, the radio was saying " we have yet another semi accident on the port mann bridge"

Perhaps we could train the car drivers, that to pull in front of a loaded tractor and hammer the binders just to make an exit is perhaps a bad idea. Perhaps instead of putting limiters on tractors alone, lets do it to every vehicle on the roads. Cause for the amount of bad truck drivers there are, there is sure as shit alot more dangerous car drivers.
 Hey Matt I make my statement based on the area we live in.  We moved from the lower mainland where we both grew up, and I commuted all over vancouver for many years. Maybe the odd time once every few years  I  noticed trucks putting peoples lives in jepardy from speeding or stupid driving, .  Come live up here and you will understand where I am coming from very quickly. Driving to Kelowna or to Kamloops is the same.  Long haul truckers speeding way over the limit, I drive the speed limit, and these trucks fly by.  There is no need for it especially when the road is not straight and flat, it is curved everywhere up here as far as I have been to 100 mile and to Golden it is all curved with few straighter 2 laned sections.  Maybe there are straighter roads in BC but I have not been past these points other than by plane.  The amount of times I have seen \"almost accidents\" where my heart is in my throat because of it is close to once a month.  It is mind numbing.  These are truckers driving as though they are in a sports car.  This is why I think trucks should have a 100 kmh limiter.  

Which other roads other than the coquahala are 110?

This is not like the lower mainland, and we have the second best drinking water in Canada( well thats what we were told anyway).

I think that stat I posted Bruce was for licenced vehicles, of course I had problems with my computer today and deleted all my cookies and temp files and can't seem to find where I found that site, you may be right, I'll keep looking.

Kevin