Author Topic: Soda Blasting a Type 4 case  (Read 2793 times)

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
Soda Blasting a Type 4 case
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
I have a type 4 case (1.7L) that I have cleaned as much as I can by hand. I am now thinking of getting it soda blasted to get the hard stuff off. Is this advisable? I have also heard that oven cleaners are effective.

In addition my fan shroud could use a good cleaning.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks.
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline beetlemandan

Re: Soda Blasting a Type 4 case
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
oven cleaner is caustic. which will instantly attack anything that is not ferrous ( iron/steel ) and soda balsting while being less aggressive,  any of that abrasive media makes it into your oil, bad things happen. hydroflouric acid works a little less agressively than caustic, but will turn your case black. my 2 cents would be castrol super-clean on the case with a stiff brush ( also caustic, but less volatile) and have your fan shroud "peened" with #8 glass bead at around 40 psi, which will clean, but also seal up the porosity of the casting, but leave a nice sheen
the customer is always wrong

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
...any of that abrasive media makes it into your oil, bad things happen.
This problem does not exist with soda.  The cleanup involves submerging the part in water.  Then the soda disolves rinsing away when you remove the part.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
although not a block, i sent all my tin for soda blasting, should have it back this week. i'll let you know how it turned out
brian waz

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »
...any of that abrasive media makes it into your oil, bad things happen.
This problem does not exist with soda.  The cleanup involves submerging the part in water.  Then the soda disolves rinsing away when you remove the part.

i guess you learn something every day! good to know
the customer is always wrong

Offline supercleansoda

• Super Clean soda and media blasting
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Brian, your tin is on its way and it was fine glass on that not soda.

soda will work fine on your transmission. you dont need to submerge it in water to get the soda residue off.   when i blast soda i include a product called holdtight 102 which removes all the residue.   spray on wipe off.    go to the resto section and you will see some examples of my work. 

its too bad your so far away. i would do it for free to show the forum how well it works.

chris