Author Topic: WTB:industrial sewing machine  (Read 1777 times)

Offline mizovalgrl

WTB:industrial sewing machine
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
Just putting this out here before I start the search. A regular sewing machine isn't suitable for the type of material I will be using. So heavy duty it should be.Thank-you.       

Offline iceneweb

Re: WTB:industrial sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
I did the same search a few years ago and on a pro's recommendation bought an old black Singer.
Luftgekühlte Volkswagen für mein Leben . . . .

1971 Westfalia Campmobile

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »
Hey Mary, there are about 8 on Craislist right now in the price range of 500-1500. What are you using it for?

Offline G-dog

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
I have used both Singers and Juki's - I currently use and prefer the Juki Lu 563 walking foot model. It uses the large bobbin so you don't have to reload as often.(I used to have 2 of them)If you are doing upholstery ,do not waste your money on anything else.
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Thank's guy's. I noticed the machine's on CL. I don't need a high end  machine. I just need to repair and make leg wraps,tail, bandage's.The fabric ranges from nylon/lycra/leather etc. So what machine do you pro's think would be suitable for me and this job? Thank's ;)  

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:15:21 PM by mizovalgrl »

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
I personally use a Pfaff machine at work and at home. Havnt really used anything else. I have heard god things about the Jukis as well so I guess its a personal preference.

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
what are you tying your husband up with now?  Domination is the new word of the day....

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:51 PM »
what are you tying your husband up with now?  Domination is the new word of the day....
Sorry ....your bottomless leather chap's aren't going to be ready for you for the weekend.....lol

Offline Alp

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
it was the ball gag I was hoping for....

Offline pete-stevers

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
i am not 110 percent sure but i think for lycra you will need a special foot, as the fabric won't feed and will bunch on the bottom,(not sure of the technical terms anymore)
there are machines around, CL is prolly your best bet, i know where there is one sitting, but am not sure if it is for sale or not
best o luck!

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
An old sturdy Singer (or similar that was made in the early 80's.. when they made PROPER machines) will do most fabrics obviously. I've sewn up to 2 layers of vinyl (with specific needles), and up to 3 of leather (suede) with one of my machines.. just take it slow. If you're doing a LOT of the heavier stuff, with speed and quantitity, then yes, you will need to invest at least a K in a good one that will undoubtedly take up your living room. I would highly recommend a Juki (ease of getting parts, use and reputation). There is a place in Rmd.. (can't recall the name off hand) that actually buys them from local factories that fold. They sell with warranties, etc..

Offline Alp

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
ex-Vancouver/Richmond sweatshop sewing machines....you will be doing a favour to all the workers by taking a machine out of circulation....

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
Thank's for your advice piercedvw. I'll look into it. pm me I have   job's waiting if you want them for extra $. I don't have the machine yet..